Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Meanderings

The members of my church, with the exception of a few, generally do not want to talk about the controversies swirling within the Episcopal Church and Anglican Communion. Since I don't care to push unwanted conversation upon others, I have found myself with few people to talk to about things that concern me in my own church.

Partially from a sense of frustration, and partially from a desire to lend a small voice in support of full inclusion in the life of the Episcopal Church for all its baptized members, I began to write this blog.

For quite some time, I had occasionally written long comments in response to posts on the blogs of others, taking up a good deal of space in their comments boxes. Lately, more and more often, I found that I was barred from commenting, unless I had a blog of my own, or, at the very least, a faux blog. The name I chose for my faux blog was available on Blogger, and once the blank space was there, I began to write. The rest, as they say, is history.

My blog has a small readership, and I seem to be preaching to the choir for the most part, but perhaps someone out there reads something here that leads them to think a little about the idea of inclusion within the church

Last week, Fr. Jake linked to a post by Mata H. in which she tells a beautiful story:

I have a friend whom I have known since we were both 16, who is a gay man, now 57. He is a brilliant professor and writer. We were chatting on the phone the other day and generally blathering on (as we do) about the condition of the world in general and America in specific. Out of the blue (because we have never discussed it) he said, "I really love the Episcopalians!"

Why does he "love the Episcopalians"?

"Because look at all those straight people putting -- of all things -- their church on the line in support of our right to a full life. Church people, straight people, standing up for us for the first time! It is wonderful, so hopeful!"

I don't know about you, but that warms my heart. It makes me feel that my small effort might do a bit of good.

Here are Mata's final words in her post:

Do not be discouraged, those of you in the Episcopalian or other churches who care about inclusion. Do not fear. Know that as you speak the words of inclusion, people you do not know, people who thirst for the gospel, people who have never seen courage like this -- well, those people are listening, and they are thankful. Those people are gay and straight, rich and poor, urban and rural -- they are the people outside your doors whose hearts will be touched progressively more deeply as your doors open progressively more widely.

If you do not think of me as an unlikely candidate to take up the cause of inclusion, well, think again. Or read my four part story which I link to on the sidebar, "Confessions Of A Recovering Homophobe". Or take my word for it; it's quicker.

11 comments:

  1. Blogs are great, aren't they? We use them to express ourselves in ways we could never do locally. We can hope others find inspiration or perhaps even enlightenment but we don't worry about it. At least I don't.

    My car sports GLBT bumper stickers. I usually have a bit of rainbow ribbon with me. Few people around here understand. I don't preach equality unless asked. But I want those who understand to know I support their efforts, especially those who see me in Pittsburgh every Tuesday.

    I enjoy your blog. It is more thoughtful and "churchy" than mine. Carefully and faithfully thought out.

    And I had supper with Mata awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pseudo, when you see Mata again or talk to her, tell her that I love her story. And thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to take into account the thousands (yes thousands) of people you "preach" to through all the other blogs you bless with your swamp wisdom. You are omnipresent in the neighbourhood of radical inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, MadPriest, you didn't get totally soppy there. You threw in the "swamp wisdom" crack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grandmere!

    I love your post! I have been frustrated also (my parish is very inclusive but the Rector doesn't want to involve us in the dispute -- a mistake, I think, but then I'm not the Rector, am I?). So I joined Integrity. It was the least I could do. You might do so, if you haven't already.

    Love,

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judith, thank you. My parish is inclusive also, with several gays and lesbians serving in leadership positions.

    One lesbian woman in the parish has met all the requirements for ordination to the diaconate, but our bishop is Windsor-compliant and will not ordain her. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But Mimi--I thought Windsor said that we wouldn't ordain any BISHOPS in same-sex relationships. I'll have to go back and look, but I didn't think it said anything about gay/lesbian priests...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doxy, I believe that what you are referring to is the B033 resolution which coame out ot the General Convention 2006.

    Here's what came out of the Lambeth Conference in 1998 that the Windsor bishops refer to in their moratorium on ordination of gays and lesbians in same-sex unions:

    6. Lambeth Conference 1998: Resolution I.10 Human Sexuality

    this Conference:

    ....

    5. cannot advise the legetimising or blessing of same sex unions nor ordaining those involved in same gender unions.


    pp. 77-78 (pdf)

    And did I ever have a hell of a time finding that. I'm saving the information, so I don't have to do that search again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Mimi! I should have done the work before I posted...

    Is you friend from church in a relationship? If not, I don't see the problem. Unless, of course, the bishop required her to foreswear ever entering one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doxy, she is in a relationship. That is the problem.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.