Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Authenticity

That wonderfully smart and readable columnist at the New York Times, Paul Krugman, whom the NYT puts behind their TimesSelect wall, writes about authenticity in the politics of years past, as opposed to what passes for authenticity today.

Let me give you one example — a Democrat who said he’d work on behalf of workers and the poor. He even said he’d take on Big Business. But the truth is that while he was saying those things, he was living in a big house and had a pretty lavish summer home too. His favorite recreation, sailing, was incredibly elitist. And he didn’t talk like a regular guy.

Clearly, this politician wasn’t authentic. His name? Franklin Delano Roosevelt.


That was then. Authentic or not, during an incredibly difficult time, FDR put in place, policies and programs such as Social Security and the WPA that did, in the end, help millions of Americans who needed help.

Krugman goes on:

What does authenticity mean? Supposedly it means not pretending to be who you aren’t. But that definition doesn’t seem to fit the way the term is actually used in political reporting.

For example, the case of F.D.R. shows that there’s nothing inauthentic, in the normal sense of the word, about calling for higher taxes on the rich while being rich yourself. If anything, it’s to your credit if you advocate policies that will hurt your own financial position. But the news media seem to find it deeply disturbing that John Edwards talks about fighting poverty while living in a big house.

....

Oh, and as a candidate George W. Bush was praised as being more authentic than Al Gore. As late as November 2005, MSNBC’s chief political correspondent declared that Mr. Bush’s authenticity was his remaining source of strength. But now The A.P. says that Mr. Bush’s lack of credibility is the reason his would-be successors need to seem, yes, authentic.

Talk of authenticity, it seems, lets commentators and journalists put down politicians they don’t like or praise politicians they like, with no relationship to what the politicians actually say or do.


Beyond the vast amounts of money that are poured into campaigns, and the lengthy campaign period - to the point that we are all bored nearly to death by the candidates by the time we cast even a primary vote - we now have the fight for "authenticity". Of course, you don't have to actually be "authentic" - whatever meaning the word has taken on - you simply have to appear "authentic".

Krugman's advice to the media and the electorate:

Here’s a suggestion: Why not evaluate candidates’ policy proposals, rather than their authenticity? And if there are reasons to doubt a candidate’s sincerity, spell them out.

My, my, what a radical idea!

The coup de grĂ¢ce, comes at the end:

The point is that questions about a candidate shouldn’t be whether he or she is “authentic.” They should be about motives: whose interests would the candidate serve if elected? And think how much better shape the nation would be in if enough people had asked that question seven years ago.

If you have access to TimesSelect, do read the entire column.

A wee confession: I have a problem with Edwards' $400 haircuts. Not because I believe that he should not get expensive haircuts - although why anyone needs a $400 haircut is puzzling to me - but because after the $400 haircut, his hair still looks so incredibly limp and lame that I wonder about his judgment.

Re the haircut: does this look like $400?



Photo by Rachel Feierman from Flickr.

Permission for use of phote from Creative Commons under these terms.

29 comments:

  1. "Re the haircut: does this look like $400?"

    My barber'd like to think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Paul, I'm sure your barber does.

    Wait a minute. Barber? Did you say barber? You mean you don't use a hair-stylist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only poodles and Old English Sheepdogs get $400 groomings... Any word on what kind of tipper he is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clumber, you old dog, good to have you back.

    Must one leave a tip after paying $400 for a haircut? If so, $80 would be about right.

    What kind of tips do the dog groomers get?

    My dog gets a bath and a nail clipping after boarding with the vet, but we don't tip. Should we? They throw in a cute little neckerchief

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I rather like John Edwards, hair and all. In fact, given that we are the same age, I'm rather envious of his hair ... If he weren't wealthy, he wouldn't be able to run for president, so to hold that against him is rather pointless.

    The authenticity argument, however, is very interesting. The example of FDR is very telling; what's inauthentic about a rich person advocating for the poor, given that the playing field is not by any means level? Are Bill Gates's philanthropic efforts inauthentic? I doubt it. I agree with Krugman that it's a side issue and not helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Janinsanfran has a good take on this same article here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, it's tongue-in-cheek about Edward's hair. I don't really care. A $400 haircut will make my eyebrows go up, but I don't hold that against Edwards. Nor do I hold his wealth against him. You're right. No one poor or middle class can run for president.

    Thanks for the tip about Janinsanfran's post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I'm with you on the $400. Remember all my Calvinist background... Although if I could afford, it, God knows what I might do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. tag, if you choose to play: http://dancingthroughdoorways.blogspot.com/2007/06/starting-meme.html#links

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nina, may I pass? I just memed another meme, as you will see if you scroll down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a Super Cuts/Hair Cuttery gal, myself. $20 wash, cut and styling.

    I think John Edwards is awfully attractive, and would be so with a cut from Hair Cuttery. The $400 story has been a bit overworked, though, I think. I saw him talk about the circumstances in some interview, and it was an "emergency" cut caught somewhere on the road. $400 would be a catastrophe for me!

    And how unauthentic it would be for Edwards to pretend to be poor when he's got the dough! As Ed said, you have to be rich to run for president in this country.

    At least Edwards made his own dough, instead of getting it from daddy and ruining a number of family companies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saint Pat, his cover story is worse than the original. A $400 "emergency" hair cut? Never apologize, never explain.

    Of course, the whole story is crap and has been overplayed. Perhaps I should not have contributed to dragging it out, even in irony. I like many of Edwards' ideas. That's what counts. That's what I look for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wouldn't be a bad idea if everyone running for president was required to disclose hairdressing expenses on a monthly basis. A former governor of SC was known in the local hairdressing community as "Helmet Head" on account of his regulation issue, Trent Lott hairdo.

    Did you see yesterday where the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals up in Richmond - the most conservative court of appeals in the country - ruled that habeas corpus applies to legal immigrants arrested inside the US - something that the Bush/Cheney/Gonzales administration denies. Looks like those slow-grinding wheels of God may finally be getting into action.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lapin, yes, yes, full disclosure for all candidates for hairdressing expenses.

    I read about the habeas corpus decision. Any judge worth his salt should be able to find the right of habeas corpus in the Constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Mimi, an old Italian barber who came over from the Old Country because his cousin said he could make a living if he learned to be a barber in America. He is now semi-retired, having sold his shop (the one featured in the filming of "Scent of a Woman") to a younger crew, and he only works Tuesdays through Thursdays. Wash, cut, and beard trim for $28.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paul how exciting. You may have sat in the same chair as Al Pacino. Well, lucky you, any way that your Italian barber still cuts yout hair.

    My price beats all y'all's. For a wash, cut, and style, I pay $15, and my beautician does a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. grandmere mimi - Padre Wayne said I should contact you with a situation I am dealing with - can't figure out a way to email you privately - maybe not internet savvy enough - how can I do so?

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heidi, I'd rather not publicize my email address.

    Who is Padre Wayne? Does he have a public email address? If he does, I could email him, and he could give you my address.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heidi, I believe that I have found Padre Wayne's email address, and I have sent him a note about you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course the political function of raising up Edwards' haircut is to suggest he's queer, effete.

    But $400 does seem a lot. Guess I just don't understand theater of this sort. Like the guy on the issues, especially domestically.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mimi, totally off topic, but don't have another way to contact you. Front page of NYTimes online today features the numbers of Iraqi Christian refugees making their way to Sweden. Two things stand out in this piece: that the US is not pulling its weight in taking in the Iraqi victims, even Christians, of the war, and that the plight of Iraqi Christians is dire to the point of martyrdom. I know you care about these things, as I do, and will weep as I did for these people and what our government has done to them and failed to do for them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jan, of course the Edwards' haircut business is about suggesting that he's not a true-blue, American, manly man.

    Mary Clara, I'm looking into the NYT story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mimi, they have moved the story and picture off front and center, but here is the link:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/world/europe/13sweden.html?em&ex=1181880000&en=186d576fb5a9d04a&ei=5087%0A

    I see it is already on the most-emailed list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anyone may always pass on a meme, i think.

    If a $400 haircut looks like that on him, I shudder to think what a $40 one would look like. Of course the poor dear doesn't have the woman's recourse of wearing it long and putting it up, always good for the really unmanageable stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I heard that people like presidential candidates and others have to pay so much for haircuts because the barber must give up most of a day to come do it - security, working into schedule, etc.

    It was Bill O on Fox Noise and his friends that found out something that is perfectly normal for people this big in the public eye and made a big to do over it. And it was only to punish Edwards for talking about the poor.

    Playing along and making more noise over it doesn't mean that campaigns won't stop having to pay an all day fee to professionals called in for a day - it just means that they will stop talking about the poor. Which is what Fox Noise wants to happen.

    Let's lay off on the rumble over John Edward's haircut. It is a right wing talking point.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dennis, my friend, I take your point, but if the Dem candidates are too fecking fragile to take something like this bit of irony from me, then they are doomed. They will win only because the other side is so damned bad.

    If a dust-up like this causes Edwards to stop talking about the poor, then he's a weenie. However, I don't think he will. I hope he's smarter than that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You know, I've wondered about the prices "hair stylists" charge. There's just so much you can do to hair before you've done something I'd pay $400 for you not to do to my hair - for instance, a green spikehawk. Recently, one of a 13 year old acolyte at our church told me his highlighted, shaggy-banged hairstyle had cost $80 -- I told him you could've got the same for free by not getting a haircut for a few months, losing your hair brush and getting out in the sun more.

    Apparently, I don't "get" it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mark, me with my $15 haircut, you know I don't get it.

    What I think would look good on Edwards is a shorter hairstyle with a little mousse and a mild spikey look. But, his handlers would never permit that.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.