Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pinocchio!!!


Have I told you about my afternoon at Pinocchio? I don't believe that I have. What an afternoon! Music, noise, games, kids, pizza, celebrities, all you could ever want from life. Well, that was all my grandson wanted from life for his eighth birthday party last Saturday. That and the chintzy prizes that break and lose tiny parts soon after the package is opened. Oh, but they loved it! And I did too. Really. I do believe that we had music coming from two different directions - and not even the same songs, but a cacophonous mixture.

Above is a close-up of celebrity SpongeBob Squarepants. He was adorable and full of personality, as you can see. Below is the other celebrity, Spiderman. Poor Spiderman seemed to be missing something. He did not have the bulk to fill out his suit. In fact, I do believe that Spiderman was a girl. I could see curves that looked more like breasts than muscles. Of course, I could be wrong.

I tried to get a better picture of Spiderman, er, Spidergirl, whatever, during her dance, but she had the moves, if she did not have the muscles, and I could catch her only from the rear.



The boys were so caught up in the games that they would not come to blow out the candles and sing "Happy Birthday", so we adults went ahead and cut the cake and served ourselves. It was a turtle cake, you see, and we just could not wait any longer. The boys never even ate any cake while we were there.

A good time was had by all, and it will very likely be another whole year before I enjoy the pleasures at Pinocchio again. Poor me.

10 comments:

  1. I have come to love SpongeBob. For years, I refused to let my kids watch that show, because I thought it glorified being stupid.

    But SpongeBob is the eternal optimist, and he is unfailingly loyal---and those are wonderful values to pass on to your children. Particularly when one of them is a born pessimist...

    Glad you had a lovely time, Mimi--and glad that your grandson did too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. File this under "One person's meat is another's poison."

    I guess it comes with being a grandparent - but the thought of an evening in one of those "ChuckECheese" kind of places is horrible. I would tell state secrets and reveal national security codes to avoid such an experience.

    Waterboarding? Whatever.

    An afternoon at ChuckECheese or Pinocchio? What do you want to know? Here, I'll draw a map for you. Just don't make me do that.

    But glad that you had a great time!

    Now, what is a turtle cake? And does it taste anything like turtle soup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But really, could you stand the joy more than once a year? Some things should be kept as seasonal delights or they will lose that special luster.

    :-)

    I'm glad the boys had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis, I go to Pinocchio for the sake of a small boy whom I love, but it is, by no means, my choice of place. The noise, flashing lights, and children running around wildly surely amount to sensory overload for me, but I do my time there with a cheerful heart for the sake of J. and his dad, especially since they're the ones who went through the nasty divorce.

    Here's a link to a recipe for a turtle cake. If you're familiar with turtle chocolate candies, which actually look like turtles, then you can go from there in your imagination to the cake. The caramel and pecans make it distinctive. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a star grandmother to go to birthday party at one of those places! And thanks for the turtle cake recipe (or as many around here call it - receipt).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, you are hereby awarded the Order of Golden Grandmomhood, First Class, for bravery above and beyond the call of duty.

    BTW, there's an anecdote about Mahler walking with friends and encountering a place with hurdy gurdies and military bands competing for attention: his friends couldn't stand the cacophony, but Mahler exulted, and told them it was that sort of contrasts of music that propelled much of his own composing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann, Kishnevi! Careful there, you'll turn my head with the awards. Didn't I recently do a post on humility?

    How I cope is with a semi-tuneout, while looking around for things that amuse me. I must say that Spidergirl was a quite a diversion. That is my finger across the top left of the photo. I have a bad habit of inserting a finger into my pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear Grandmère, whatever is up with you? First TELP, and now Spidergirl is turning your head? You're a sucker for female superheroes, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I suppose so. And there was the kiss.

    It would be a stretch to think of that Spidergirl as a superhero. Although, on second thought, just to get out there in the costume must have required a good bit of courage. The kids did not even seem to notice. Bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two words, Mime.....Ear Plugs!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.