Sunday, March 8, 2009

Oops! No church Today!

No, we didn't do it. A few minutes ago, Grandpère said to me, "Weren't we supposed to set the clocks up?" Yes we were. No church for me today. The service is starting even as I write. I'll read the Lectionary and Morning Prayer in the prayer book. I'll miss the Eucharist, but not having it one Sunday makes me appreciate the blessing of our frequent Eucharistic services all the more.

My sermons for the day will come from the internet. I've already read one good one yesterday, which I linked to below.

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

UPDATE: From "The Daily Office":

Do not deceive yourselves. If you think that you are wise in this age, you should become fools so that you may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, 'He catches the wise in their craftiness,' 20and again, 'The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.'

So let no one boast about human leaders. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future-all belong to you, and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.
1 Corinthians 3:18-21

Suffrages B:

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance;

Govern and uphold them, now and always.

Day by day we bless you;

We praise your name for ever.

Lord, keep us from all sin today;

Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

Lord, show us your love and mercy;

For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope;

And we shall never hope in vain.

15 comments:

  1. Oops! :)

    I will go read MadPriest's sermon. I could use a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning after breakfast Liz went to her computer and then called out to me "Allen, is it 9:20?" I said, "No, it's 8:20. Why?" She said "My computer is asking me if I want to change the time." So I checked my calendar and sure enough today was the day we spring Forward. My computer didn't ask me, it just changed the time automatically. I was listening to BBC Radio 3 and since the time change hasn't happened yet ove there, I didn't notice anything wrong.

    We were lucky -- we discovered the time change in time to get to church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allen, my computer changed the time automatically, too, but I looked at the time on the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a guest preacher. Service starts and the regular minister announces that the guest preacher hadn't arrived yet. Each time a hymn starts, the regular minister is working on some papers. Finally the gospel reading, still no sign of the preacher. End of gospel, the regular minister takes one final look before diving into the substitute sermon. The preacher walks in. He had failed to reset his clock and hadn't realized his mistake until it was almost too late. I wonder how many ministers out there failed to reset their clocks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erp, so the regular minister gave the sermon?

    About my rector, I couldn't say, because, you know, I wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fortunately woke up a half-hour before the alarm went off. Thought I had extra time for a luxurious cup of coffee. My computer alerted me to my error and i made a mad dash into the shower. Which is better than the day last summer when I completely lost track of time and I got a call asking if I were ill and should one of the lay people do morning prayer.

    motheramelia

    ReplyDelete
  7. MotherAmelia, I'll count you as clergy who almost missed the service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over here the newspapers have a big heading the day before and all the evening tv news makes sure we are told. It is usual for the priest to announce the week before as well. However we have another 4 weeks before we go back to normal time. By then the sun will come up about 7am, later than in mid winter???

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the late preacher, who gave the sermon....

    The guest preacher did as soon as the regular minister had transferred microphone. He had had a cold the previous day so had missed all the announcements about clock time changes.

    It would have been interesting to see the regular minister scramble though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, we sent out a blast email to the entire parish on Friday, giving them a reminder about the change in time. We did have a few late folk, but that's not unusual at St. Paul's. Do read MadPriest's sermon. It totally rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brain, we have no excuse. We're forewarned, but we just neglected to change the clocks last night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth! I posted on MP's sermon and linked to it. I praised it over here and over there. It was excellent.

    I am a thorn in my rector's side, because I am late much too often. It's shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my husband's saving graces is that he always sets the clocks at least 3 hours before bedtime. That way our bedtime is in the new time. Then I have no trouble getting up on time. But I have always thought they should change the time on Friday night/Saturday morning. That way we would all get a chance to prepare for Sunday...but that's just me, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, your husband does it right. I'm going to try to remember to do it that way at the next time change.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.