Sunday, April 26, 2009

Brain Food Through The Eyes


From the Independent:

Most centenarians attribute their great age to some magic elixir or other. The longevity of the Italian scientist Rita Levi-Montalcini, who this week became the first Nobel Prize-winner to reach the age of 100, might be the result of a potion that is a little out of the ordinary: Professor Levi-Montalcini, it is said, puts her undiminished mental vigour down to regular doses of nerve growth factor (NGF) – the discovery that made her famous.
....

Dr Levi-Montalcini, a neurologist and development biologist, still works every day at the European Brain Research Institute, which she founded in Rome.
....

"If I'm not mistaken," she said, "I can say my mental capacity is greater than when I was 20 because it has been enriched by so many experiences, in the same way that my curiosity and desire to be close to those who suffer has not diminished."


Her collaborator in the NGF research, Pietro Calissano, says:

"Every day, she takes NGF in the form of eye drops," he said, "but I can't say for sure if this is her secret.

I wonder if I can get some of those drops.

Levi-Montalcini's life has been hard at times. She is Jewish, and during the Mussolini era, she fled from place to place and went into hiding.

"Don't fear difficult moments," she said, "the best comes from them."

Good words from a strong woman who has her priorities right. And isn't she a classy looking lady? She's beautifully groomed, and she's not alone. Italian women are the best dressed anywhere. The women who walk on cobblestones in five-inch heels are amazing.

Thanks to Lapin.

3 comments:

  1. She is very classy, strong and brilliant. I would like some eye drops too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I have trouble remembering hymns I have sung for years!

    She is classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears that there is a good bit of serious research taking place with NGF eye drops. But this lady is not waiting for all the results to come in. At her age, I understand why. And, after all, she discovered NGF. She should know.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.