Saturday, April 24, 2010

"JOSHU-AH"



Florrie Forde, British music hall's most enduring singer of chorus songs, is joined here by Harry Fay in the 1912 hit, 'Joshu-ah!'


Lapin sent me the link to the video, because I have a grandson named Joshua. What can I say? Shall I show the video to my grandson? What will HE say?

Those were simpler times, indeed.


The chorus:

JOSHUA

Joshua, Joshua,
Why don't you call and see Mama,
She'll be pleased to know
You are my best beau.
Joshua, Joshua,
Sweeter than lemon squash you are.
Yes, by gosh you are,
Joshu-oshu-a."

3 comments:

  1. My father's name as well, named for a grandfather, born around 1815. Unlike now, not at all a fashionable name around 1900. The song became a hit when he was in his early teens and was the bane of his adolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lapin, as you know, I knew about your father, but I didn't know if I should mention the song as the bane of that Joshua's existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one reason he didn't marry until his forties? Odd, reading it, to realize that one of my great-grandfathers was born almost two centuries ago.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.