Monday, April 11, 2011

R.I.P. DEAN EMERITUS DONALD WEBSTER


The Very Rev. Donald Webster served at The Cathedral Church of St Luke in Portland, Maine.
If anybody gets a moment to say a prayer or two for Father Webster I'd appreciate it. St. Luke's has been Welcoming/Affirming for over 40 years, dating back to before there were words for describing the practice.

The first time Victor and I attended Mass at St. Luke's we enjoyed a thought provoking sermon by this curmudgeonly Priest. He shook our hands on the way out, and I was surprised at his reply when I asked if the Parish welcomed gay couples. As was typical of Father Webster it was short and to the point.

"I should hope so!"

We've been at home here ever since.

--Wade
Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant Donald. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

6 comments:

  1. Prayers for Father Webster though I did not know him but Amelia took me to visit the Cathedral in Portland last October and I also had the pleasure of having lunch with Wade and Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, St Luke's sounds like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father Webster was the priest at my home parish - St. James Episcopal on Long Island when I was a young girl. I will always remember him fondly. He was a good man, quiet yet serious, kind and one that lived his faith. He taught me to respect worship in many ways through the vestments, through the service, through the word and sacrament. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fr Webster seems like a lovely man. Thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father Webster's passing will leave a huge void in the St. Luke's family. But I'm sure he's in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Fr Webster lives in the hearts of all who love him.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.