Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A BREAK FROM WORK AND REST FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

When I left for England, I fervently hoped that the matter of possible default by the US federal government would be settled by the time I returned home. While I was away, I didn't follow the news closely, but - Alas! - nothing is settled, but the US House of Representatives did pass the awful Boehner bill for cutting the deficit, which I trust (but you never know!) will go no further.

Please read IT's post titled 'Destroying America' at The Friends of Jake in which she links to Paul Krugman's column on the subject of 'balance' in the news in the New York Times. What have we come to in this country?

In the midst of my day with lots of other matters demanding my attention, I took the time to write to John Boehner, who is, after all, the Speaker of the House of Representatives of all the people in the US, not just of Republicans.
Dear Rep. Boehner,

Come on, now, we all need to share the pain of getting our fiscal house in order. The rich benefit most for the privilege of living in our country, so they should be willing to pay their fair share. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates agree. 72% of the people in the country want to see shared sacrifice, and they do not wish to see the deficit reduced only on the backs of the fast-disappearing middle class and the poor. Do your job as speaker of the House, Rep. Boehner, and represent the majority in this country.

Thanks for your attention.
I could have said much more, but when writing to politicians, I believe brief is better.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back home to the land of nonsense... been quiet because things are heated where I am and not just judging by the thermometre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI GRANDMERE, I'M STILL TRAVELING, BUT TAKE BREAKS TO GLIMPSE CNN--HAVE TO KEEP THE BLOOD PRESSURE PILLS HANDY WHEN THE PROFFESIONAL/CONGRESSIONAL GREEDSTERS COME ON--RETURNING HOMESOON, ABRAZOS TODO,
    LEONARDO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leonardo, abrazos. The news is depressing, indeed. Still, I wish you safe and enjoyable travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're back just in time for the finale of this little string quartet while Rome burns. I'm just sitting here enjoying the spectacle of my Medicare benefits scaled back so some hedge fund manager can continue to pay a lower tax rate than I do. Who knows? Next week I may get to see my retirement go up in flames.

    Nero, pass the fiddle and the matches.

    I know you're tired, but all this madness might send you back across the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...all this madness might send you back across the Atlantic.

    Counterlight, after paying my bills, I have no money left to go anywhere. I am stuck. If I did not have attachments here, I would have left during the Bush maladministration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boehner has a job on his hands bringing the tea partiers round to a sensible view obviously, not least because they don't give a stuff what Boehner wants either. There was a piece in the paper today saying oh for the days of Tom DeLay. Can't believe anyone wants that really but at least if anyone disagreed with him he just knocked heads together till they changed their minds. That particular skill would probably come in handy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, the Tea Partiers are now the tail wagging the dog. They're out of control, and the Republicans don't know what to do.

    Oh for the days of Republicans with character and principles!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.