Tuesday, October 11, 2011

BISHOP MARK LAWRENCE ON LAMBETH 2008

From Anglican Mainstream:
Canterbury, England
I am glad I came here for this Lambeth and worshipped one last time in the Cathedral home of Augustine and Dunstan, Anselm and Becket, Cranmer and Laud, Temple and Ramsay. I had come to speak a word of hope and perhaps to intervene on behalf of our beloved, but in the last resolve the family refused the long needed measures. So he just slipped away, our noble prince, one dreary morning in Canterbury with hardly even a death rattle.

The new prince was born last month in Jerusalem. I was there—arriving late, departing early. I was never quite sure what I was witnessing. It was an awkward and messy birth. He hardly struck me as I gazed upon him there in the bassinet as quite ready to be heir to the throne. I even wondered at times if there might be some illegitimacy to his bloodlines. But that I fear was my over wedded ness to a white and European world. May he live long, and may his tribe increase—and may he remember with mercy all those who merely mildly neglected his birth.

As for me my role for now is clear, to hold together as much as I can for as long as I can that when he comes to his rightful place on St. Augustine’s throne in Canterbury Cathedral he will have a faithful and richly textured kingdom.


Bishop Mark Lawrence of South Carolina
The death of the noble old prince is such a sad story - a real heart-breaker, but the good news of the birth of another prince brings a bit of heartsease. And the new prince's name? GAFCON! The name carries great weight and seems a heavy burden to lay upon a mere babe in a bassinet. Still: The prince is dead; long live the prince! And we rest a bit more secure in the knowledge of Bishop Lawrence's mighty effort to hold things together until the new prince takes the throne.

No more words, unless I take a page from the New Yorker to say: Block that metaphor!

Thanks to a friend who found this gem hidden away in the archives at Anglican Mainstream. If you check out their website, you'll soon realize that 'Mainstream' is a misnomer.

8 comments:

  1. Tends to get carried away a bit does Our Mark. Prose to match the purple of his cassock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as of today still Our Mark. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I used to say about The Shrub, "not my president." So glad to be able to say "not my Bishop." I don't know where he learned to write like that. He was born in Bakersfield, CA, not the South. But he ain't no Southern writer I ever read, that's for sure. Euwwww!

    VW - 'hement,' as in I can't tell what hement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. susan s., I don't know where he learned to write like that either. His prose is of the eye-popping sort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably not "Our Mark: for very long

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bp.Lawrence is already setting himself up as a martyr as stated in his message to the diocese about the charges against him:

    Rest assured we will do all in our power to defend gospel truth and catholic order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, his idea of gospel truth and catholic order. . .

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.