Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL TO REOPEN ON FRIDAY

From Reuters:
London's St Paul's Cathedral is expected to reopen to the public on Friday, a week after church leaders closed its doors for the first time since World War Two, blaming safety risks posed by anti-capitalism protesters camped outside.
....

The Dean of St Paul's, the Right Reverend Graeme Knowles, said he hoped the church would reopen with a service on Friday, subject to a final decision on Thursday.

However, he said he still wanted the protesters to pack up their campsite and that court action was still being considered.
H/T to Peter Carey at The Lead.

As I said at The Lead, 'There now, that wasn't so hard, was it, lads? Once again, the £££ will flow in. Oh, and worshipers can worship.'

11 comments:

  1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15472362

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lapin...I haven't been able to create clickable links for months now...Blogger doesn't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For ages I didn't even know how do do those links (even now I mess them up more often than not on the first go) but Mimi bullied me until I finally learned the general principal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. theme, if it's Blogger messing you up, then the case may be hopeless. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it true they now charge 14 quid to get into St Paul's? For shame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IT, it is true. I was going to a service, so I didn't have to pay, but I did make a donation in the collection plate.

    The visual is not quite so bad as actual tollbooths set up inside York Minster. I found the sight of the booths quite shocking. One can't help but think of the cleansing of the temple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The York money is being used in part for the current restoration of the great East window. See from their facebook page that the minster will be closed to visitors tomorrow for the consecration of the new bishop of Durham.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lapin, the window is magnificent, nevertheless, I'm not exaggerating when I say I was shocked at the sight of tollbooths. I met an elderly Anglican woman who said she would never set foot in the Minster so long as they charged to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The imagery of the section of the East window is fascinating. Not sure about the strabismic (an adjective you don't get to use too often) Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cross-eyed Jesus I was going to say, but I didn't. Now I did.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.