Tuesday, November 1, 2011

HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE


From WWLTV:
Sixteen people were shot and at least two killed in a bloody Halloween in New Orleans that included gunfire on Bourbon Street, the tourist hot spot in the French Quarter.

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, at a news conference called Tuesday in response to the five separate shootings, said a “culture of violence,” that involved young black men with illegal guns has plagued the city and must be stopped.

“This continues to be a battle for the future of our city,” Landrieu said.

Around midnight, two men started firing at each other on Bourbon Street — near the famous Chris Owens night club. When the gunfire stopped, Albert Glover, 25, of New Orleans, was dead and seven others injured. Police spokesman Garry Flot said the injuries were not life-threatening.
I've told visitors to New Orleans that they are safe where the people are, but I don't believe I can say that any longer. The mayor is right. New Orleans' future is at stake.

It's like the Wild West with shootouts in the street. In the culture of violence amongst the boys and young men, arguments, even over minor incidents, are all too often settled with guns and then followed by revenge shootings. Breaking the cycle of violence will be a difficult task.

Will I stop going there? No, but the convention and tourist trade may be gravely affected by stories such as this, and the New Orleans economy is heavily dependent upon tourism.

I weep for my home city.
O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us, in the midst of our struggles for justice and truth, to confront one another without hatred, or bitterness, or violence and to work together with mutual forbearance and respect; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer with slight editing)

11 comments:

  1. Sixteen is a very high count for one night :( I'm not surprised you are upset by it, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God, my God.

    Oh, Mimi . . . I'm so sorry, and so disappointed in our world. Don't you lose hope - you're what's best in us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad...and frightening since it's even happening in smaller cities like one here in Michigan. In fact it seems to be a growing terrible epidemic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't how the young men think or feel, but they must be very angry inside to end up shooting someone for an argument over a shove. Not that I mean at all to excuse murder, because it inexcusable, but I expect a good many of them have little hope for a decent and non-violent life, and they don't hold life dear.

    I don't know. Maybe I have it all wrong.

    Mark, thank you. I don't give up hope, but I'm feeling down tonight.

    Ciss, it is frightening and perhaps one more sign of the disintegration of our society here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-(..

    Prayers ascending!

    {{{Mimi}}}

    {{{{{{{{Nawlins}}}}}}}}}}

    At the All Soul's Day liturgy tomorrow, I will remember them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. JCF, thanks.

    Before Katrina, shootings were mainly associated with the drug trade, but in the aftermath of the storm the shootings seem to be connected to grudges, arguments, and revenge. There seems to be a breakdown in parts of the black community in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all very sad. I worry about our country as we seem caught up in endless violence. May God have mercy on us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. May God have mercy on us!

    Indeed, whiteycat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi -- I am so sorry. Prayers for the dead, their families, the killers and their faimilies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. susankay, thanks for the prayers. It's a sad situation.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.