Tuesday, February 28, 2012

BLOGGER SPAM DETECTION WORKS


Blogger's new word verification function with its fuzzy double set of letters is so difficult to use, that my readers complained of trying 3 or 4 times without success to post comments, because they could not decipher the fuzzy letters. Since my own frustration matched theirs when I posted comments on other blogs, I decided to disable word verification here at Wounded Bird to see what followed. After a week, I'm happy to report that the Blogger spam detection function works quite well, as of now. Spam is screened out, and legitimate comments come through. The occasional signed anonymous comment goes into the spam folder, but I check frequently and send the comments through to the blog and delete the spam. I hope I've not spoken my public praise too soon, only to experience a breakdown of the system within a short time. For now, I'm optimistic.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! I won't use that ridiculous eye test either, and Blogger spam detector works just fine for me. It even filters out trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counterlight, the fuzzy letters and multiple attempts to post comments are driving me mad. I noted that you dropped the hated WV, and I followed your example. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, if you could just get the mustard-colored Preview window back... :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. JCF, your request is beyond even my awesome powers. Sorry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you've gone back to the fuzzy letters. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, I didn't. I'm set on 'no' for word verification. I don't know why you're seeing the fuzzy letters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I signed out of Blogger and left this comment as anonymous, and I didn't see fuzzy letters.

    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.