Friday, March 9, 2012

JONATHAN IS NOW KINDLING



Available by monthly subscription at a cost of just of just £2.49 (slightly less than $4.00) per issue. Subscriptions can be cancelled at any time.

NOW AVAILABLE IN KINDLE FORMAT

Click over to St Laika's Shoppe for details and links to subscribe or purchase the Kindle version.

Jonathan's alternative services for Holy Communion are lovely. The collects, intercessions, post-communion, and other prayers blend with Lectionary readings from the Scriptures of the day and flow smoothly into the eucharistic service. The prayers for Holy Week are especially moving and truly fine work. I know Jonathan, and, since he's a bit of a rogue, I wrote to ask how he could write such beautiful prayers. His response to me makes very good sense: "I think you have to be a rogue to write good prayers. If I was holy, I could only write 'God is wonderful' stuff. When I pray I am praying for myself and, being fully aware of my shortcomings, I am actually grateful for what Jesus has done for me."

Clergy looking for alternative services would do well to give them a try. Lay church-going folks may wish to pass them along to their pastors or just use the prayers at home outside of church services. I subscribed in the PDF version, and I highly recommend them.

Jonathan Hagger blogs by the name of MadPriest.

5 comments:

  1. I do too, Lindy. Does the post convey my sentiments? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On your recommendation, Mimi, I went and listened to one of Jonathan's Holy Communion podcasts last night, and it was a very moving experience. Delightfully quirky in the musical choices, it followed the Prayer Book punctilliously - and amazingly, I really felt like I had been to Communion for the first time in seven years. I highly recommend it to all who, like me, cannot attend a local church. Thank you for the tip in that direction, it was a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russ, seven years is a long time. I'm so pleased for you. I've enjoyed Jonathan's podcasts, too. The music is all over the place, traditional hymns, classical music, rock, soul, country, but all good selections.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.