Thursday, March 15, 2012

POPE ORDERS CUSTOM EAU DE COLOGNE

From the Guardian:
He is picky about his robes and his red shoes are tailor-made, but Pope Benedict has taken the meaning of bespoke to a whole new level by ordering a custom-blended eau de cologne just for him.
The fragrance, which mixes hints of lime tree, verbena and grass, was concocted by the Italian boutique perfume maker Silvana Casoli, who has previously created scents for customers including Madonna, Sting and King Juan Carlos of Spain.
Casoli said she had a "pact of secrecy" with her most illustrious client to date, and refused to release the full list of ingredients that had gone into his scent – but she did reveal that she had created a delicate smelling eau de cologne "based on his love of nature".
The story leaves me wordless - nearly.  Obviously the "pact of secrecy" applied only to the ingredients of the cologne and not to the very fact that the pope placed an order for a custom cologne.

Thanks to Ann V for the link.

UPDATE: I thought of something else to say: You can't make this stuff up.

18 comments:

  1. If this doesn't say where his priorities are, I don't know what does...sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how much it cost? Maybe not much. I don't know. Never tried ordering a bespoke cologne myself.

    The perfume itself sounds rather nice. Perhaps Benny feels it might increase his appeal to Gorgeous George?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, that's wicked!! But I must admit that was my first thought, too! As we used to say when I was a kid, "Great minds run in the same gutter!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the article, it seems the bespoke cologne may not be all that expensive. Who runs the Vatican's PR department?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well he is after all the vicar of Christ and Christ did get some very expensive ointment poured on him. Judas even got rebuked for complaining about it.

    More seriously has any recent pope rejected the perks of the office?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erp, quite true. Who am I to criticize? It's right there in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, now that the hungry have all been fed, the sick have all been healed and the poor have all been housed and clothed, what's a Pope to do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annski, indeed, what's a pope to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reminded of this quote in your margin, Mimi, by Josh the other day. Seems apropos---and explanatory:

    "There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity...You can smell it. It smells like death."
    Tennessee Williams, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised. My money would have been on lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Though verbena is big with Little Old Ladies down South, I believe. Surprise about Rowan. No balls, pardon the expression. My money would be on Chartres, a total ingratiating smoothie, except that with the women bishops' issue looming big in England, the fact that he has yet, after 20 years as a bishop (sixteen of them bishop of London), to ordain a woman to the priesthood, should tell against him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my dreams they pick Jeffrey John....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would it be wicked of me to suggest it smells vaguely of altar boy? With a undertones of SS leather?

    (And Paul lowers the tone further once again!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris, may we say a bespoke cologne is now a tradition in the RCC that all future pontiff's must follow?

    JCF, Lapin, and Paul, into the naughty corner now!

    Although I was surprised about Rowan's announcement this morning, it was pretty well known that he would resign sometime this year. I know at this time we're to be all nice and high-minded as we hurry him out the door, but I'm not sure I can bring it off.

    Doxy, in my dreams, JJ has the position already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous, I deleted your comment because you did not sign a name. Read my sidebar about ANONYMOUS COMMENTS.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.