Wednesday, May 9, 2012

OBAMA - "SAME SEX COUPLES SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET MARRIED"

Once Joe Biden made his announcement, I did not think Barack Obama would be far behind.  I doubt that Obama will lose votes because of the announcement.  The great majority of the folks who will be upset, would not have voted for the president anyway.  
 “I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told Roberts in an interview to appear on ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mr President! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Mr. President!!! You helped take the sting out of the North Carolina vote! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad he finally said it out loud! Good on ya, Mr President.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad he finally said it out loud! Good on ya, Mr President.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The announcement was carefully thought through and planned. I see only an upside for the president with the endorsement. All those who will be outraged would not have voted for Obama anyway. It was the right thing to do, and I'm pleased he mentioned his own daughters as an influence on his decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As luck would have, yesterday my internet connection went out just before the President was to make his declaration, and I wasn't back online until midnight. And there were other distractions, so I missed the immediacy and emotional impact of it. And I simply do not believe this has been a long, soul-searching decision arrived at gradually by careful meditation on ethical principles. (The man went on record as wholeheartedly endorsing gay marriage as far back as 1996, for pete's sake.) No - this announcement comes at a calculated time, as nearly everything in politics does.

    But lots of other bloggers have written much about that already, so I'll just sum up by saying I'm very grateful to hear Brother Obama testify - the fact of his declaration is historic for the presidency, certainly - now let's see how much good it does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Russ, I'm grateful, too. Whatever went into Obama's decision to announce his support of gay marriage doesn't matter much to me. He did it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.