Saturday, June 9, 2012

HEADLINE IN THE SCOTSMAN

Scottish Episcopal Church says No to ‘gay marriage’ agreement 

THE Scottish Episcopal Church has rejected an agreement backed by the Archbishop of Canterbury that could have seen sanctions imposed on them if they diverged from the Anglican Communion’s rulings on issues such as the ordination of gay bishops and same-sex unions.
....

David Bain, a member of Scottish Episcopal Church General Synod, characterised the covenant as a “blancmange with shards of glass in it” that was “completely unexceptional until you come to that awful crunch”
The Scotsman tells us in a few words whence sprang the odious Anglican Covenant.  What can I say about Mr Bain's characterization?  "Ouch!"  

The article includes a picture of Rowan Williams with the caption, "Archbishop of Canterbury: Backed the agreement".

5 comments:

  1. Oooohh!! blancmange! I haven't seen one since Monty Python had a sketch involving a Scotsman and a Blancmange playing tennis. I think the blancmange won!

    That's the perfect description, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. susan s., the description is delicious, but I would not want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite quote from the article:

    "The Church of England cannot sign up to the covenant after half of its 44 dioceses voted against, while conservative global church leaders, whom it was intended to placate, have already rejected it."

    Not laughing. NO, NO, NO, not laughing, unless I am. This is at least as good as a Monty Python farce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno how the reporter got his story, but he got it right. Lotsa laughs. Makes you wonder how much was tongue-in-cheek.

      Delete
    2. Beat me to it. Not that I wa even cloe -- I paue here to connect my econd keyboard which i now miing the letter S -- even close to first, but I was about to quote this very paragraph. As you say, Pythonesque, but I wouldn't put it past Sir William Gilbert either.

      But now the bad news: Monty Python is farce, but American politics is tragedy, and the quote models them both nicely. I wonder what Marx would have said to that.

      --Porlock Junior again, not expecting to live up to Google's high standards for people who may post nonymously.

      BTW I now remember why I don't post under my WordPress id: Blogspot refuses to allow it. Doesn't like my name, I think.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.