Friday, September 7, 2012

SO WHO YA GONNA VOTE FOR?

The delegates at the DNC look like the people in the country.

What kind of people do you want to run your country? The folks who organized the RNC or the folks who organized the DNC? If the winner is the party who put on the best convention, then there is no contest. The Democrats orchestrated a near-perfect convention.  The purpose of a political convention today is no longer about choosing candidates for president and vice-president, because that's all settled beforehand.  The hope of the Democratic leadership is to fire up the delegates to the convention, the activists and the not-so-active voters watching at home and in gatherings around the country, both Democrats, independents, and stray Republicans to vote and to work to get out the vote which the Republicans are so very anxious to suppress in the battleground states.  The atmosphere at the DNC was electric.  The crowd was fired up. The convention was a huge success.

Because of Isaac, what I saw of the RNC was mostly on videos, and it was Dullsville.  I did not last 5 minutes with any of the major speeches, though I did watch Clint Eastwood to the bitter end of his conversation with the empty chair.  I'm not sure why, but I couldn't seem to click the stop button.  Note to Paul Ryan: Lying speeches can be boring.  The Republican delegates, along with a good many Republicans at large do not have warm, fuzzy feelings about Romney, but they liked some of what he and the other speakers said.  The delegates even applauded Ryan's lies.  The Dem delegates seemed to love Obama, which does make a difference in the enthusiasm of the crowd at the convention and that of the viewers at home. Disclosure: I am biased.


The delegates at the RNC look like the crowd at the country club.

While I am rather cynical about politics here in the US, seeing much of the talk from both parties for the BS that it is, I do believe this election is important and that the team that is elected will make a difference, for good or for ill.  Both parties neglected the matter of increasing poverty in the country, but to suggest an equivalency in the policies of Democrats and Republicans stretches credibility beyond the limit. The dog-eat-dog Darwinian policies of the present Republican Party are shocking and scandalous.  The corporate culture will continue to run the country no matter which party is in charge in the office of the president and the legislature, but let's not pretend that the coming election will affect the poor in the same way. Even marginal attention to the plight of the poor will have an impact, and which party is more likely to address the problem? Note that Sr Simone Campbell, the voice of conscience at the DNC, mentioned the Ryan/Romney budget at the beginning of her speech.

The disappearing middle class is a crisis that if not addressed will increase the numbers of those living in poverty, and we'll end up as a banana republic, with a society that consists of the very rich and the very poor and quite a small middle class. Although I'm disappointed that the Democrats did not highlight the problem of poverty in the country as I would have liked, I believe this election will make a difference to the poor, even if only in a moderate way.


DNC photo from Time.
RNC picture from The Huffington Post.
Sign from Prior Aelred's Facebook page.

17 comments:

  1. Most LGBT people have been part of the ¨mixed¨ crowd of citizens for lifetimes (although many have ¨passed¨ in the world of countryclub set)...for me, I love being with everyone...everyone means everyone, even the Republicans when they stop casting everyone else out and/or talking their silly/lying garbage as if WE weren´t/aren´t in the room (makes one wonder if they pay attention to reality at all)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Len, I am with Republicans nearly every day. I do my part for the cause of coming together, whether I want to or not.

      Delete
  2. I´m voting for Barack Obama (absentee e/ballot) for everyones own good (oops, I´m starting to speak like them)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm a gonna vote for President Obama as will my two son's-in-law, my daughters and my son.

    And on a totally OT topic, check this out. The comment from our friend Counterlight made me weep.

    http://www.thinkinganglicans.org.uk/archives/005647.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have qualified the statement by putting the word "some" in front of "institutional Christians" - but otherwise, his comment hits the nail squarely on the head. Especially the very last sentence.

      Delete
    2. Good for you and your family, Bonnie.

      I read Jeffery John's piece from the Church Times and Counterlight's comment. Our institution and others are addressing the matter of equality for LGTB people, so I agree that "institutional Christians" may be too broad a phrase, but otherwise Counterlight's comment is heartbreaking and sadly all too true.

      Delete
  4. The delegates at the RNC look like the crowd at the country club.

    That's because they are the crowd at the country club, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are the good old boys (and girls) who are not country club types in the mix, too. You see the rare black or Hispanic person, but otherwise the crowd is very white. If gay persons are there, they would not necessarily stand out, but, if so, I expect their numbers are quite small.

      Delete
  5. God bless you for even watching what you watched. From the little I saw (especially with Isaac knocking out TV for a week), there wasn't much to see. I missed Michelle, who I am beginning to think should have been the president. She's the Great Communicator in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle would make a fine president. The three speeches I admired most at the DNC were by women: Michelle Obama, Elizabeth Warren, and Sister Simone Campbell, not in any particular order of preference.

      Delete
    2. Grandmere,
      I agree on the three top speeches, though I taped the coverage and just listened to the speeches. Many here are thrilled with Bill Clinton's speech but I think those three women truly out shown his.

      Delete
    3. Ciss B, what can I say? Great minds.... :-)

      Delete
  6. Stealing the "If what Mitt..." graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Post-convention polls are showing an encouraging tilt towards Obama (a Huffington piece indicates that the Republicans' own polls show him with a nine-point lead in Ohio), but of course there's all that unfettered right-wing billionaire cash out there this election season, so who can predict? "Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip", as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lapin, the news is good indeed, however, I hope Democrats don't become over-confident and complacent. Republican attempts to suppress the vote will continue until election day.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.