Monday, September 10, 2012

THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT?

"Ask Mitt Anything" session, May 2007
Mitt Romney: “That pledge says ‘under God,’ and I will not take God out of our platform,” Romney said. “I will not take God off our coins, and I will not take God out of my heart.”

OMG! President Obama will?

Wait!

Obama spokesperson: “The president believes as much that God should be taken off a coin as he does that aliens will attack Florida,” she said. “It’s an absurd question to be raised.”

Whew! I can breathe again. I can tell you; I was worried.

I expect that Romney will mention God more often than Obama, but what does the Bible have to say?
Then the word of the Lord came to Zechariah, saying, “Thus says the Lord of Hosts: 'Execute true justice, how mercy and compassion everyone to his brother. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. Let none of you plan evil in his heart against his brother.’" (Zechariah 7:8-10)

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it. (Matthew 7:24-27)
So.  It's not how many times we say God or have the name of God displayed that counts, it's how we put into practice the teachings of the Good Book.

I'm told that Mormons use the KJV of the Bible.

Photo from Wikimedia Commons.  As you see, the picture is from 2007.  Mitt has been running for president for a long time.  I doubt whether Romney would have an "Ask Mitt Anything" gathering now except with a carefully screened group, and even then....

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Diane. Blogger should have a "Like" button. It's would be so much easier than typing the entire word. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never forgotten when Poppy Bush (41) said, re Dan Quayle, "He didn't burn his draft card, and he sure as heck didn't burn the American flag!"

    ...implying that Democrats DID burn the American flag.

    I'd love to hear Obama say in the debates, "I don't demogogue YOUR religion, don't you demogogue mine". >:-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandmere, you want the passage in Matthew just before the house on the rock:

    Not everyone who calls me their Lord will get into the kingdom of heaven. Only the ones who obey my Father in heaven will get in. On the day of judgment many will call me their Lord. They will say, “We preached in your name, and in your name we forced out demons and worked many miracles.” But I will tell them, “I will have nothing to do with you! Get out of my sight, you evil people!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I thought of using the passage that you suggest, but I wanted to make the point about doers of the word...not that Romney or anyone in his camp will read what I say. I do this sort of post for the Amen chorus and for myself...to relieve frustration.

      Delete
  4. Does anyone remember that the phrase "under God" was a later add-on to the Pledge? It was not in the original Pledge. It was added during the height of the Cold War during the 1950s to distinguish ourselves from the Atheist Power in the East. The same is true for the motto, "In God We Trust." We did not have an official motto until the 1950s. The unofficial motto before then was "E Pluribus Unum." I'd prefer to return to that one.

    Also, Southern segregationists kept the Pledge from becoming official for decades because they objected to the concluding line, "with Liberty and Justice for all."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counterlight, throughout all my years of elementary and high school, we said the pledge without "under God". It took its toll, but by some miracle, I managed to overcome.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.