Friday, October 19, 2012

FARKEL FAMILY FUN




Recently, I was reminded of the Farkel family sketches on the comedy TV show Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.  I loved the Farkel family, Frank (Dan Rowan) and Fanny (Jo Anne Worley), their kids, and their neighbor Ferd Berffel (Dick Martin).  The children in this sketch from 1970 are Sparkle (Goldie Hawn), identical twins, Simon (Teresa Graves) and Gar (Pamela Rodgers), and Flicker (Ruth Buzzi). I could not make out the name of the boy in the family, nor do I know who played the part in this sketch or the part of the suspicious boy brought in by police officer, Phil McCorkle, who is played by the wonderful Jonathan Winters.  The Farkel children varied in number and  names from season to season.  Enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. YOU, Queen of the Epsicopal Queens and other Notables, are wonderful...thank you so much! Su Magistad, that was hysterically funny and I´m laughing out loud, really! Loved it, I wonder if younger people will think it funny? Or, did we just fill an entire era of insanity with beyond the deep end everyday wonderfolks who have brilliant imaginations and endless creative talent? (I don't even get the humor in most of the sitcoms, like The Office, these daze). I need Orange hair to get me going...yes, the dental work (and most of the script) brings to mind the Romney´s on the campaign trail/tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Len, I don't know if younger people will find the sketch funny, but it's my kind of humor. I've watched the video about 5 times now, and I laugh out loud each time. I even LOL when I think about the sketch. What a treasure the show was while it lasted.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the lovely compliments. :-)

      Delete
  2. oops, I type too fast (and I also dance as fast as I can, or have)...that would be: Episcopal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories. I just, right now, remember that when I was in High School (L.A. City School District) I went to see a production of ¨The Most Happy Fella¨ at a theatre off Hollywood Blvd (can´t remember the name of it but it was one of the old ones), and Joanne Worley stared in it and afterward my friend and I went backstage...she was funny as Hell and so nice to a couple of highschoolers romping around loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice story about Jo Anne Worley, Len. Quite a number of talented actors came and went through the show.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the memories of this! These sketches are hilarious and, like you, I howl with laughter no matter how many times I see them. Also, I love Jonathan Winters when he does the Maudie Frickert routines. i laugh just thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whiteycat, I remember Maude Frickert and Lily Tomlin's Ernestine, the telephone operator. You've given me an idea. I may post a series of sketches from Laugh-in.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.