Tuesday, January 22, 2013

NO BETTER CHOICE THAN PAUL

• Paul Ambos, Esq named acting Chancellor

Dear Friends in Christ, It is an honor to announce that, with the concurrence ofthe Standing Committee, I have appointed Paul Ambos, Esq., to theposition of Acting Chancellor of the Diocese of New Jersey.

That the position title includes the adjective “acting” is a reminder that this appointment is effective for the remainder of my tenure as Bishop Diocesan; that is, through November 2, 2013. It will be up to the Twelfth Bishop of New Jersey to determine – again, with the concurrence of the Standing Committee – who he or she will appoint to serve the Diocese in this ministry.
Paul Ambos Paul Ambos is well known and widely respected in our diocese. For many years he has been active and effective in advancing the mission of our Church through his parish, this diocese and the wider Church. He has a keen intelligence, a faith-filled heart, a firm foundation in the Gospel of our Lord and an inexhaustible energy for our mission. Those who have attended our Convention in the past ten years and more are aware of the tremendous volume of work that Paul has contributed to the Convention through the Standing Committee on Constitution and Canons and the Committee on Resolutions. In addition, he presently serves as Senior Warden of Christ Church, New Brunswick and sings in their choir. His devotion to our Church is lived out in activities too numerous to mention. His service and sacrifice are exemplary.

I have had the privilege of working closely with Paul Ambos throughout my years as your Bishop. I have often drawn upon his wisdom, grace and good counsel. I have a very high regard for his love of our Lord and his loyalty to our Church. He is well-versed in the laws, statutes and canons that govern our lives and the life of our Church. I believe that he will be a wise counselor and strong advocate for the Diocese and for its Bishop. In the aftermath of the sudden death of our beloved brother, Canon Chancellor John Wood Goldsack, I believe that Paul is well qualified for the role of Chancellor and I have confidence in him.

This is an extraordinary season in the life of our Diocese. I am grateful for Paul and for all those leaders who are working so hard to help with an orderly transition to the next chapter of our ongoing mission in the name of Christ our Lord. Thank you. Thank God for you.

May the Lord who has given us the will to do these things, give us the grace and power to accomplish them, with joy. Right onward!

Faithfully yours in Christ,
 
+George
 
To think I knew Paul when he was only a member of a Standing Committee of the national church, Senior Warden of his parish, and member of the choir in his parish church, and look at him now, Acting Chancellor of the Diocese of New Jersey.  My question:  Do I have to call him "Sir"?

Seriously, I could not think of a better man.  Paul is a mensch. 
  
Blessings and congratulations on your appointment, my friend.  Amen to Bishop George's prayer.

UPDATE: Post corrected to show that Paul was not a member of the Standing Committee of the Episcopal Church, however he was was an early friend of Fr Jake, Worldstopper, which is where Paul and I "met".  Then, we met face to face in New York, at GC2009 in Anaheim, and again in New Jersey.  Paul and his wife Catherine are two of the finest people I know.    


2 comments:

  1. Yes, those of us in the Diocese of NJ do love our Paul even when he's not submitting his unique brand of humor to your blog! Blessings upon Paul in his new position!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whiteycat, I wasn't sure I should "out" Paul as a contributor to my blog, but you just did. ;-) I expect some folks may have guessed anyway. Thank you for letting me know about his appointment.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.