Wednesday, January 9, 2013

PRINTER WOES

Aarrgh. My entire morning was taken up with printer problems. Grandpère wanted me to print a form for applying for a grant for the boat museum from the parish, and the printer ran out of paper. When I added paper, the printer continued to tell me that the paper tray was empty. I turned the printer and the computer on and off several times and plugged and unplugged to try to print the rest of the form to no avail. The same message continued, "The paper tray is empty." Nor could I print anything else.

After trying and failing far too many times to print the rest of the form, and wasting far too much time in the effort, I finally uninstalled the printer and tried to reinstall three times without success, until I thought to disable my virus protection. Finally...success...after several hours.  Grrr.  Tomorrow, the printer at the boat center should be set up to do their printing.  I hope so. 

10 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your techie-ness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GP suggested that I call our neighbor, who is a real techie, to ask for help, but I try to solve computer problems myself, if at all possible. I've learned a great deal in my hours of frustration over the years. What's unfortunate is that I remember only some and not all of the lessons. Still, I learn enough to make progress.

      Delete
  2. The printer was just taunting you, Mimi. Mine does that to me all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I know. The technology machines are sometimes malevolent.

      Delete
    2. My mom used to call it "the Conspiracy of Inanimate Objects".

      Delete
    3. When my best friend from high school, who is still a friend, would stumble over a piece of furniture or anything, she would say, "stupid chair" or stupid toy", which amused me then. I wonder if she still does that.

      Delete
    4. I do that. I can fill in for her if you ever need me to.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the offer, Cathy. I'll keep you in mind.

      Delete
  3. Adding to the misfortune, the inevitable obsolescence of every device. The fix one learns does not work on the next printer. Or the next day. And who can afford the ink?
    Here's a Youtube video I find comforting, Mimi. You are not alone in your printer woes. Warning: there is some cussing in this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs

    Blessings, Laurel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, the video is hilarious. I didn't try any of the techniques shown. Maybe next time...

      My printer-scanner-copier has been reliable, but it is several years old and is probably obsolete. It generally does what I want it to do, so I'm not ready to turn it in for a new model.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.