Wednesday, April 17, 2013

NAME AND SHAME - DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED AGAINST BACKGROUND CHECKS

Five Democrats voted against strengthening background checks for gun sales.

Sen. Mark Pryor of Arkansas
Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska
Sen. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota
Sen. Max Baucus of Montana.
Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, who switched his vote only to allow the measure to be called up again. 

Double shame on you, senators.

Four Republicans voted for the bill.

Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania
Sen. Susan Collins of Maine
Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois
Sen. John McCain of Arizona

Thank you, senators.

The rest of the Republican senators, double shame on you.

6 comments:

  1. Heitcamp really disgusts me. She was JUST elected. She's got 5+ years for the gun-nut voters in her state to forget, and she stabs her President (or shoots the parents of Newtown?) in the back anyway. DINO! >:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five years to go, and she didn't have the courage to stand up to the NRA. Disgust is my reaction, too. What good are the likes of the four to the Democratic Party? It seems their priority in the Senate is to score 100 with the NRA.

      Delete
    2. Heitkamp belongs to my state, and I'm deeply disappointed in her vote. I enthusiastically supported her election (partly because her GOP opponent was such a dufus), but this could be too egregious a mistake for me to support her if she runs again. In her defense, she ran as a candidate who would not toe any party line, so I don't blame her for not siding with the Dems as a default action. But this wasn't (or shouldn't have been) a vote dominated by party ideology. This truly was a common sense vote, and 46 senator proved that they didn't have any. I wrote again to both Heitkamp and our other senator, Hoeven (R), last night expressing my incredulity at their votes.

      Delete
    3. Mary Landrieu is up for reelection next year, and her vote in favor may be costly, but I'm proud she did the right thing. She will have my support, no matter who runs against her.

      Delete
  2. I would like to point out that Mark Pryor is no relation. That I know of. :) If he is, I disown him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the thought never entered my mind. :-)

      I just finished writing to Harry Reid and the other four senators who voted against ending the filibuster. What will it take?

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.