Monday, May 27, 2013

THE TRINITY

PEREDA, Antonio de
The Holy Trinity
Szépmûvészeti Múzeum, Budapest
Trinity

Three in One.
One in Three.
The Father loves the Son.
The Son loves the Father.
The Father and the Son love the Spirit.
The Spirit loves the Father and the Son.
The Father, Son, and Spirit loved creation into being.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
....

And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth.
....

And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.’

(Gospel of John, Chapter 1)
Image from the Web Gallery of Art.

2 comments:

  1. I know there's been a lot of it for a long time, but I really can't deal w/ "Old Man, Young Man, Bird" depictions of the Trinity. Give me Rublev!!!

    ...but Happy Trinity Sunday (+1), Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rublev is all over the place. The icon is gorgeous, but I wanted something different. I had a hard time finding a painting that did not show Christ crucified, which strikes me as all wrong for the Trinity. The next best...?

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.