Thursday, June 20, 2013

EXODUS INTERNATIONAL TO SHUT DOWN

From the Huffington post:
Exodus International, a large Christian ministry that claimed to offer a "cure" for homosexuality, plans to shut down.

In a press release posted on the ministry's website Wednesday night, the board of directors announced the decision to close after nearly four decades.

“We’re not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change -- and they want to be heard,” Exodus board member Tony Moore said.
And not a minute too soon.  Good riddance.  The harm caused by organizations of this sort is incalculable.  Guilt, self-hatred, suicide...I could go on.  Saying you're sorry is not enough.

I wonder how much the decision had to do with lack of  funding.

UPDATE: See nakedpastor for the visual.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, based on what he's saying, Chambers no longer believes in it. He is being excoriated by the right. as a result.


    He says,
    “More than anything, I am sorry that so many have interpreted this religious rejection by Christians as God’s rejection. I am profoundly sorry that many have walked away from their faith and that some have chosen to end their lives.

    “You have never been my enemy. I am very sorry that I have been yours. I hope changes in my own life, as well as the ones we announce tonight regarding Exodus International, will bring resolution, and show I am serious in both my regret and offer of friendship. I pledge that future endeavors will be focused on peace and common good.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, IT. Chambers expresses the intention to mend his ways. We'll see what actions follow his intentions.

      Delete
  2. Susan Russell lays it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-susan-russell/hasta-la-vista-exodus-international_b_3473369.html

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.