Thursday, July 18, 2013

CARAVAGGIO - "JOHN THE BAPTIST"

Caravaggio - "John the Baptist"
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City




Caravaggio's painting at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City caused me to gasp as soon as I walked into the gallery and spotted it. I made a beeline to it to get a closer look and read the details. I did not instantly recognize it as a Caravaggio, but I should have.  What a masterpiece!

The contrast of the light and shadow is superb, with the eyes and the background shaded and the torso, the arms, and one leg in the light. Then, there's the striking dark slash across the torso from the shadow of the arm and the contrast of the luscious vermillion (?) of the cloak. This is a pensive John the Baptist, wearing a colorful and elegant cloak (the likes of which he almost certainly never wore). Even looking at the reproduction causes me to catch my breath.

Caravaggio, Rembrandt, and Vermeer are included in my top ten list of painters I love.  I'd have to give a little thought to the rest of the list.

Thanks to my Facebook friend Richard, who reminded me that today is the anniversary of Caravaggio's death on in 1610 and inspired me to post again on the painting and artist whose work I love.

Image from Wikipedia. 

5 comments:

  1. The "discrete" Caravaggio Baptist, not to be confused with this version, of which he painted two copies in 1600. Courtesy of our buddy Counterlight, who published this excellent illustrated online essay on Caravaggio, three years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember reading Counterlight's wonderful post. Caravaggio's models were mostly street boys.

      Delete
  2. Is it just me, or does JtheB almost look like an amputee here? O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottom of one leg is in shadow, but I can see it. If it's just between you and me, then it's just you. :-)

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.