Thursday, July 11, 2013

HAPPY ST BENEDICT'S DAY

Saint Benedict Detail from a fresco by Fra Angelico - Museo di San Marco - Florence
"Live this life and do what ever is done in a spirit of thanksgiving. Abandon attempts to achieve security, they are futile. Give up the search for wealth, it is demeaning. Quit the search for salvation, it is selfish. And come to comfortable rest in the certainty that those who participate in this life with an attitude of thanksgiving will receive its full promise."

-- St. Benedict of Nursia (480-543 C.E)
What a lovely way to live, and how often I forget to give thanks, which is the sure defense against falling into a state of cynicism and despair.  Reading the quote this morning brought me up short, because I was in a funk. The words were just what I needed to take me out of myself and mon tristesses.

Image from Wikipedia.

Update from my friend Doug:
"Apparently that lovely quote from St, Benedict that I published earlier today isn't Benedict at all, but from an author of spirituality books primarily for Episcopalians named John McQuiston II."
The words are still wonderful, even if they are not from St Benedict.
  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mimi. I needed this quote also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whiteycat, the words are wonderful, by which I mean full of wonder, and they carry with them a healing touch.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.