Thursday, August 29, 2013

I DID THIS


If you try to find out, on the internet, how many steps the Duomo of Florence has, you will see numbers that vary from 414 to 463. So, it’s up to you to find out the real answer! In this video, this guy climbs (and counts) the stairs, recounts a good history of the Duomo (with only one little error – can you spot it?), and shows us the view from above!
I climbed the steps when I was in my 60s.  Yes, I did.  As the teenagers were running up the steps, I ascended slowly, with an occasional stop to rest, the rest stops coming closer together the higher I climbed.  It was hard, but I persevered, and the view from the top was magnificent and very much worth the difficult climb.

From Tuscany Arts. 

UPDATE: My one disappointment was at the half-way point entry into the cathedral.  Due to restoration work, I was not able to see the closer view of the beautiful "Last Judgment" fresco in the dome by Giorgio Vasari and Federico Zuccari, because the paintings were covered by drapery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.