Thursday, September 5, 2013

"THE CIVIL WARS" ARE OVER


Only several months ago did I discover The Civil Wars on NPR and fall in love with them. After watching and listening to the video, I purchased their first album, "Barton Hollow," which I've listened to again and again. Their chemistry in performing, and the near perfect blend of their voices in harmony give the songs a magical quality that completely won me over. The album won the Grammy Award for Best Country Duo/Group Performance and Best Folk Album in 2012.

Joy Williams and John Paul White scheduled a tour of Europe, and in the middle of the schedule, they cancelled the rest of their appearances due to "irreconcilable differences." The two had also started production on a second album, which they completed despite their disagreements. Their excellent new album, titled "The Civil Wars", has been released and is now available.

The split greatly disappointed me and thousands of fans. I'm in mourning. Joy and John Paul performed alone for several years before getting together, and both have wonderful voices, but I doubt the magic will translate into their solo performances. I wish them well, but, more than anything, I wish they'd resolve their "irreconcilable differences" and get back together.

Set List:

"Barton Hollow"
"Twenty Years"
"Poison & Wine"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.