Saturday, August 9, 2014

ABOUT THE PRESIDENT'S SPEECH ON THE CRISIS IN IRAQ...


The Kurds are our best friends in the Middle East, and they remained so even after we betrayed them when Bush Sr encouraged them to revolt against Saddam and subsequently refused them help. The Kurds seem like the sanest and most compassionate group in Iraq at the moment, and, if they want a measure of autonomy in Kurdistan, I'd like them have it.

They've taken in Christian refugees who were driven from Mosul by brutal IS and are now accepting Yazidi refugees from Sinjar, where ISIS has taken over by brute force. We are already sending humanitarian aid to Kurdistan, and we are ethically bound to send humanitarian aid to the Yazidis trapped on the mountain.

I'm against violence in all forms and very much against the US policy of supplying arms to the world, and I'm not certain of the consequences of the military support President Obama announced last night, but I cannot condemn the policy. In this one instance, I'm willing to consider the possibility that the arms might help the Kurds continue their humanitarian efforts and help them retain control of Kurdistan. I wish there was an alternative to bombing, but I don't see it, and I do realize it could all go bad.

I am pacific but not 100%.  If I saw a child being abused by an adult, and the only way to save the child was to commit violence against the perpetrator, I think I would do it.  Reasoning from the particular to the general, I arrived at the conclusion not to condemn the president's decision to give military support to the Kurds and the refugees in Iraq, which includes bombing of IS positions.  I realize that inductive reasoning results in answers that are no more than probabilities, and I cannot rest easy in my lack of condemnation, but, for now, that's my position.

And there is the unspeakable horror of the story linked below, which is only one among many brutal assaults by IS on Christians and other minorities in Iraq.

Canon Andrew White, the "Anglican Vicar of Baghdad"
“I’m almost in tears because I’ve just had somebody in my room whose little child was cut in half,” he said. “I baptized his child in my church in Baghdad. This little boy, they named him after me – he was called Andrew.”
Canon Andrew ask for our prayers and our support.  The article includes a link to donate to support the church in Baghdad.

6 comments:

  1. I too despise war and violence - but we have to accept that we live in a world populated with not merely nice, neighborly folks but also with thugs and thieves and murderers. We can no more do without a military than we can without police, who in both cases must be ready, willing, and able to stop the thugs of this world with overwhelming force.

    I do not believe that the profession of Christianity requires us all to submit at any moment of the day or night to whatever whims a violent man or collection of them may have. The one and only thing a bully respects is force - sweet reason and the brotherhood of man are jokes to him.

    The trouble is, BushCheney and their criminal gang have so unsettled that whole region, there is now no easy way forward for any of the parties concerned, the U.S. included. I just hope we can prevent the genocide of the afflicted people huddled on that mountain - but history I think will record that their fate is ultimately traceable to our stupid, irresponsible actions in destabilizing the region.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ, I so agree that the present violence and turmoil in Iraq are the direct result of the Cheney/Bush/Rumsfeld invasion of Iraq for no good reason. Saddam was an evil dictator, but the war, based on lies and deception, led to the brutal conditions that exist now, which make Saddam's Iraq look like a peaceable land. Obama is left with few choices, none of them good.

      Delete
  2. Mimi, are you away (not approving any comments for publication), or has my comment gone missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JCF, I tried to moderate your comments through last night, and, for some reason, the process didn't work. Now the comments have disappeared. Please try again to see if they will go through tonight.

      Delete
  3. OT but Robin Williams had died. I remember his list of top 10 reasons to be Episcopalian. One of them was "free wine on Sundays."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all over Facebook and TV news. I'm so sorry. He was a genius and gave pleasure to so many, but he was bi-polar and depressed. We'll miss him.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.