Saturday, November 15, 2014

A NEW MEMBER OF THE FAMILY


The photos show the newest member of our family. She is a four month old kitten, who is very affectionate and who quickly bonded with both Tom and me. We're a beautiful match.  Scarlett is a lively ball of fire and has explored every nook and cranny downstairs and upstairs.  She peed once on the floor but has since used her litter box.  She was named at the shelter, and we decided to keep the name...wait for it...Scarlett! Get it?

Scarlett is reclining in her bed now. Yesterday afternoon, she went missing for a while. I searched upstairs, downstairs, and all around the house, but no Scarlett. I heard a faint "Meow" in the distance once or twice, but when I got closer - nothing. Then I remembered I had opened the door to the closet where I keep the clothes hamper and closed it after I put clothes in. When I opened the door, there she was lying on the clothes in the hamper, looking not too unhappy.

Our girl likes books, too.  Good thing, because our house is filled with them.  She also wants to share our meals. After searching the internet, I discovered the methods I've been using are not the best and may cause Scarlett to be afraid of me, rather than teach her to stay off the kitchen counter and table.  Yesterday, I used a spray bottle with water, and only after she punished me for my rudeness by staying away for several hours did she jump up on my lap to be cuddled.

Following the sad months of our Diana's decline after being our companion for 17 and a half years, the little kitten has brought joy and liveliness back into our lives.  After Diana died, when I returned home after going out, and Tom wasn't home, I missed having a live creature to greet me when I walked into the house.  Thus the decision to adopt a kitten companion from My Heart's Desire in Houma, Louisiana.

22 comments:

  1. She is. She's sometimes naughty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitteh! <3

    "Scarlett! Get it?"

    As in, Another Spoiled Southern Belle? ;-p

    May you be very happy together, for many years to come...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JCF. Scarlett is already a naughty girl.

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how the addition of a cat can warm a heart, no matter how wounded. I was anti-cat for years, until I met Rabbi, and now, I feel like I have a real friend. Funny how the Holy Spirit moves.
    hungryvicar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always had cats before Diana came to live with us, but she hated cats, and, I believe, pushed the cat we had to kidney failure by chasing him at every opportunity, so we've been 17 years without.

      Scarlett severely tested my love and patience yesterday by thoroughly messing up the connections to our computer so that I had to spend hours trying to get back online. Good thing for her that she already has a place in our hearts.

      Delete
    2. I love how, from the first photo at top, she's already mastered the head-turning "Who, Me?" look. ;-/

      Delete
  4. I see Scarlett's a tabby just like my "Faggots" who sends his greetings. He's just eaten his kill and has now curled up to sleep it off.
    I hope Scarlett is allowed on your bed. All the family should retreat to the communal nest for shelter and protection!
    Regards, MikeN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. I'm curious about why you named your cat "Faggots".

      Delete
  5. Ah well, he and his brother both came from the rough end of Cardiff, the old dock area where the height of modern cuisine is faggots and peas, a fairly disgusting combination I'm told. As kittens they were taken in by my Welsh nieces and eventually came to me but by then they'd been named "Faggots & Peas". Sort of Welsh joke, look you.
    Alas, Peas had to be put down due to kidney infection and failure; he was my favourite but Faggots and I have looked after each other and now we're devoted to each other! (The wife's a bit jealous I think!)
    Regards, MikeN
    PS Faggots just come in from patrolling and he's all over the keys. He thinks he's a wiz with the computer - but he's rubbish really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of "faggot" as a derogatory term for gay men and "faggots" to start a fire, but I've never heard of them as part of a meal. Animal? Vegetable?

      Delete
  6. From Wiki
    "Faggots are a traditional dish in the UK,[1][2] especially South and Mid Wales and the Midlands of England.[3][4][5] It is made from meat off-cuts and offal, especially pork.[3] A faggot is traditionally made from pig's heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes bread crumbs."
    Pretty disgusting really, so perhaps that's why the word is one of abuse.
    They're served with "mushy peas" and again from Wiki we find
    "Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which are first soaked overnight in water with bicarbonate soda/baking soda,[1] then rinsed in fresh water and simmered with a little sugar and salt until they form a thick green lumpy soup".
    I don't think you'll like it, MikeN.
    PS And Scarlett sleeps on the bed with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Sorry I asked. I know I would not like it. Anyway, Scarlett says "Meow" to Faggots.

      Delete
    2. Scarlett does not share the bed. No one, child nor animal, shared the bed except my husband. My bed is my place of peace and quiet. When my children were sick, and I needed to be with them, I went to their beds.

      Delete
  7. You're a hard woman, Ms Butler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful little cat! And so lucky to have found a home with you and Tom! May you have many happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, whiteycat. My hope is the same as yours. We love her. She's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SO glad you and Scarlett found each other. I grieved for you when Diana departed this life. Joy to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Clara. I thought perhaps we were too old to have another pet, but we found we needed a companion. Since I didn't relish the thought of doggie walks in rainy weather, we decided on a cat.

      Delete
  11. Aw, cute kitty. I have a similar stripped old girl named SassyCat. I've had a few shelter/rescue cats and they always made the best pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie. All our pets have been rescues, either strays who came to us or adopted from shelters.

      Delete
  12. Dear Grandma,
    In a troubled world its nice to see so many posts devoted to cats!
    But tell me, do you have a cat flap so she can get out into the garden? I'm a bit worried 'cos I've read somewhere the countryside there is full of alligators.
    Regards,. MikeN.
    PS Faggots sends his regards (or will do when he wakes up after feasting on his latest kill).

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.