Monday, March 5, 2007

Back To The Diocese Of Wenchoster

My readers, it's time for another visit to the Diocese of Wenchoster to increase our store of knowledge. It appears that new features have been added. Or could it be that I did not plumb the depths last time I visited?

Today we'll explore the Let Grindle Search feature. Ezekial Grindle is the verger of The Cathedral Church of St. Ennodius & St. Veronica. His wife, Mrs Jezebel Grindle, contributes to her husband's FAQs and is a virtual mine of information that I could have used in my time of inept service on the Altar Guild. A click of the mouse will take you to Mrs Grindle's Stain Removal Tips, where you can find advice on removing stains from fabrics, such as her recommendation for the removal of oil-based paint:

Ezekiel's father used to say that these sort of stains should be treated immediately with diluted horse urine though that isn't as common as it used to be so I use bleach not that it's very kind to the hands so I wear thick rubber gloves and use a sponge.

Have you ever wondered about the use of the little spoon that you might have caught a glimpse of on the credence table? Wonder no more. In the section on Grindle's description of the liturgical vessels and their use, I found this:

SPOON: made of gold or silver and kept on the credence shelf for use by the Celebrant, if necessary, in removing impurities from the Chalice. Few cathedral clergy use this implement, many preferring the less ostentatious deft flick with the finger to remove flies, bat or mouse droppings, or wafer fragments that return from a communicant's lips to the wine. A ladle from the Refectory should not be used under any circumstances.

Moving along in the search, I found Grindle's explanations of the use and significance of liturgical colors throughout the church year, such as this one for the color pink:

Rose Pink is used as an alternative for the 4th Sunday in Lent which in the Church of England is Mothering Sunday otherwise known as Laetare Sunday) and for the 3rd Sunday in Advent which to give it its proper title is Gaudete Sunday and Mrs. Grindle always says how nice the clergy look in pink and how she wants to give them all a great big hug.

The site is an endless source of interesting and useful information, which I will likely return to and one that you might want to have at look at yourselves. I can't think how long it would take to go through the whole of it to find the hidden treasures.

14 comments:

  1. Grindle is an informative and amusing chap, oh, dear, yes, thank you very much.

    On the whole, what with him and Brother Causticus, I am much impressed with the verger ilk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agha, vergers are cool, indeed!

    I truly was inept in my eight years of service on the Altar Guild. I was trained by one of the best, but it did not take. After the long years of struggle to get it right, I finally relieved myself of the responsibility. It's a wonder I was not dismissed long before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly Unfriendly Catholics

    a fun site that needs expanding - it plays on the mindset of the uber-Anglocatholics found mostly in England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis, I took their quiz and scored 0, which means I'm the worst of the worst in heresy. I suspect that I know the correct answer to all of the questions, but the correct answer was not my answer.

    I suppose I should now class myself with Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandmère,

    I scored 4.

    I am popular in Altar Guild because I truly love to polish brass. I take a very long time to do it, though....

    Thanks for visiting my place.

    Do you know any good bread pudding recipes? Maybe savory?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agha, my husband used to make excellent bread puddings. They came out different every time, because he never measured, and tended to vary the ingredients. He hasn't made one in a long time.

    What I remember is that it included bread - of course - raisins, coconut, and apples. He's not here now, so I can't ask him, but I will.

    Ok, he came home. He used white bread, milk, an egg, butter, pecans, and the things I mentioned above. No measurements, sorry.

    With your love for polishing brass, you would be worshipped in our Altar Guild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the bread pudding recipe. It's ok if there are no measurements...I usually wing it anyway.

    I made a batch of wheat bread that just didn't suit, and so I cut it all up for bread pudding. I was waiting for inspiration, then I thought, why not just ask Grandmère?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a recipe for a macadamia nut bread pudding somewhere.. I served it with a ginger ice cream I made (with about half the sugar called for in the recipe) and the crowd who came that night (back in 2003!) are still talking about it. But I've learned to never repeat a dish for a dinner party. The second time will never be as good as the first. I'll go looking for the macadamia nut bread pudding recipe if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love vergers -- when I got to preside at the High Altar at the Washington Cathedral - they saved me from total melt down. Dressed me, marked the book, pointed to where I was to read, led me around so I would not fall down the marble steps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, your granddaughter is adorable. How exciting to preside at the HIGH ALTAR at the National Cathedral!

    Thanks be to God for the vergers.

    Bishop Latitudinarian of Wenchoster Diocese, through one of his minions, asked if I wanted my name added to the blogroll there. I am honored.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Winchoster anywhere near Barchester?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rick, very near, I believe. The bishops exchange visits often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.