Saturday, October 24, 2009

New York - St. Luke in the Fields And More

St. Luke in the Fields

On Sunday morning, during my recent visit to New York, I headed by taxi from Midtown to meet the other Doug, aka Counterlight, the artist, for my Anglo-Catholic fix at St. Luke in the Fields. TBTG that Doug attends the 11:15 service, because I am not an early morning person. Nestled in the midst of the city landscape in Greenwich Village, the church property includes a lovely garden, which Doug and I had time to tour before the church service began. The original church building dates to 1822, but the building burned twice, leaving only an old wall intact, which is visible from the garden. The most recent restoration greatly enlarged the sanctuary and includes a sacristy that any clergy, sacristan, or altar guild member would kill for.

The service, a sung Eucharist, was lovely. All was done decently and in order in Anglo-Catholic style, including incense. The music was especially beautiful, with an outstanding choir and organist. The service lasted close to two hours, but the time went quickly for me. At my church, wee St. John's, we are downright protestant in comparison, except for especially grand occasions and celebrations.

The church gave flu shots that morning, so I lined up with Doug and others from the church to get my flu shot. After our shots, Doug and I headed on foot with a group from the church, Mary, Peter, Laurel, Walter, and another gentleman whose name I do not remember (Sorry about that!) for Dublin 6, a nearby restaurant, for brunch. The delicious (and extended!) brunch and the company of the folks from St. Luke was delightful. We didn't leave the restaurant until 5:30 in the evening. It was altogether a wonderful day. Doug and I hoped to work in a visit to his studio on the Lower East Side, but we couldn't squeeze that in. I'm sorry I didn't get to Doug's studio to see his art first-hand, because he is a fine artist. Perhaps another time.

It was a great pleasure for me to finally meet Doug in real life, although I felt as if I already knew him from our many exchanges on blogs and emails. He is all that I thought he would be, and I thank him for a wonderful day. Even the weather cooperated.

Here we be, Doug and me.

If you're in the neighborhood and looking for a church to attend, Ship of Fools has a favorable report on St. Luke's by a mystery worshipper.

14 comments:

  1. The studio will still be here when you come back. Frankly, I thought the long lunch with desert was probably more fun. I had a lovely time myself, and I look forward to your speedy return. Your fans in the parish, who were in Washington that Sunday, are all very jealous of me now. You must come back to make them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that "dessert." I don't remember any sand dunes at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it wasn't the desert, that's for sure. I'd still like to see your art. Photos don't cut it, but they're better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring report, and foto! I was frustrated to realize that I was in New York that weekend, too, and our paths nearly crossed. I went to the Rubin Museum of Art (7th Ave. at 17th street) to see the opening of the exhibit of C. G. Jung's 'Red Book' which is on display (and being published) for the first time. The Museum itself is well worth a trip if you are at all interested in Asian art. From there (late afternoon/ evening on Saturday) I walked down to Washington Square, passing two fine old Episcopal churches along the way, neither of which was St. Paul's, to attend a lecture at NYU by one of Jung's grandsons who is an architect, on the topic of Jung's house dreams and the houses he designed and built. Such richness. And then I had to dash for the late train back to Baltimore.

    I hope and trust I will get to meet both you and Doug one of these days. Meantime it is great to see you together, having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirke, you should be. Doug's a love.

    Mary Clara, so near and yet so far. One of these days....

    So you're a Jungian?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Compa and I used to go to Saint Luke's together... and she continued even after I went off to Astoria for field ed. She and Tobias even did a class on the creeds together! I miss Saint Luke's incense. Our former choir director and another priest I know from Vermont both ended up doing field ed at Saint Luke's. In my days, they were one of the few places that paid (whereas I had to pay to do my field ed)... and its near (or was near) to Taylor's Bakery — awesome croissants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that Tobias went to seminary from St. Luke's. It's a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do get around, Mimi. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do miss my San Francisco Anglo-Catholic parish when I hear of other wonderful places of similar ilk to worship. Mimi, I'm so glad you had a good time and your extended lunch sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was googling "Ian Douglas" Bp elect of Connecticut & and saw Wounded Bird in the margin. Haven't visited blogland for many months, but seeing mention of your visit to St. Luke's prompted me to comment. I had the pleasure of being part of St. Luke's for almost 8 years. My daughter even learned to be a thurifer and I even served as clerk of the vestry for a few years - hard to believe it actually happened. I'm glad you had a good visit there. Wishing you well - always enjoy your blog when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Göran, I'm old. Time is running out. And the rapture may come at any time! I want to cram it all in.

    Amelia, the whole day was lovely, however, I have to tell the truth. I take great pleasure in Anglo-Catholic worship from time to time, especially a service as nicely done as that at St. Luke's, but for every Sunday, I like our simple Eucharistic service, with our rector presiding quite nicely, which lasts just over an hour. We have a wonderful organist playing our lovely old pipe organ, and only a small choir, but our congregation sings out an makes a joyful noise unto the Lord.

    Fleur, it seems that many worthy folks have, or have had in the past, a connection with St. Luke's. It's a wonderful and welcoming place, and I'd be proud to be a part of it.

    Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to have missed this merry occasion. If it weren't for a long standing appointment in NJ, I would have been there. Indeed, you missed most of your fan base. Do come again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indeed, you missed most of your fan base.

    So Doug tells me, Wilfried.

    Do come again!

    I'll do that, God willing. I looove my fans, I do.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.