Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday


"Crucifixion (Corpus Hypercubus)" - Salvador Dalí (1954)

READINGS:

AM Psalm 95 [for the Invitatory], 22; PM Psalm 40:1-14 (15-19), 54
Lam. 3:1-9, 19-33; 1 Pet. 1:10-20; John 13:36-38 [AM]; John 19:38-42 [PM]

PRAYER

Almighty God, we pray you graciously to behold this your family, for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed, and given into the hands of sinners, and to suffer death upon the cross; who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Did You Die For Me?

Did you die for me,
Jesus, did you?
Did God raise you for me?

Why? Why for me?
What good am I?
What use to you?

You say because you love me.
Why do you love me?
Because you are love, you say.

I must love my brother.
I must love my sister.
As you love me, so must I love.

Spirit of God,
Dove of love,
Fill my heart to overflowing.

June Butler - 3-20-08

11 comments:

  1. Easter Blessings Grandmere Mimi.

    I love your use of the Dali images

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easter blessings to you, Fran. The Dalí cubed cross jumps out and hits you, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poetry, Mimi. Triduum blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dali is amazing. Blessings to you, dear Mimi, and thanks be to Godde for the poetry that has been pouring from you these last several days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Elizabeth and Jane. I have no idea if my poems are good, tolerable, or awful. I cannot judge my own poetry.

    I'm just now realizing that the poems are all religious, but for one, and even that one has a bit of the faith in it. The inspiration is often a picture, or a passage from the Scriptures, or a feast day, or sometimes two or more of those coming together to open the door to the muse, if the muse it is.

    Blessings to you, dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, how lovely again. thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, thank you. Have a blessed and happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. Your poem is achingly beautiful. The Dali painting is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan, love, thank you. A blessed and happy Easter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful poem.

    Last night's Good Friday service at St. Mark's was somber, reverent, and very moving. The bishop was presider and preacher. He hails from Texas, so I'm still surprised to discover that words like "word" or "real" have two syllables.

    I do have questions about Holy Week liturgy. Why do we read the whole passion story on Palm Sunday, including death and burial, when there are days later in the week dedicated to those aspects of the journey?

    ReplyDelete
  11. KJ, I am not a liturgist, so I can't really answer your question. What struck me on Palm (Passion) Sunday was that from the triumphal entry into Jerusalem to the triumph over death on the day of the Resurrection is an eventful period, with the events of Jesus' life going from high to the very lowest back to the highest.

    The crowds go from waving palm branches and shouting, "Hosanna in the highest," to shouting, "Crucify him!" A lot of activity takes place in a short period of time.

    Perhaps the reading of the whole Passion is to give us a foretaste of what follows, or perhaps it's for those who don't attend any of the services in between, so they'll have an idea of what the excitement is about on Easter morning.

    Thanks for your kind words about the poem.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.