Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Just Because....Part 2



The Madonna and Child with Two Angels - Sandro Botticelli
Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte, Naples. Image from Wiki.
Mary’s Song of Praise

And Mary said,
‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.’


Luke 1:46-55
Just because I love Botticelli's Madonna paintings and just because I love Mary's magnificent prayer of praise and thanksgiving to God, The Magnificat, was reason enough for me to give you this.

And then these words came to me:
O Blessed One

Mother of God, O holy one,
Inside your body, the Word made flesh,
As an infant suckled at your breast.
The God-child, cared for gently, lovingly,
Grew in wisdom and in grace.

Mother of God, what did you know?
Were you sad? Were you fearful?
Midst the joy of family life,
Did you feel a piercing in your heart?
O blessed Mary, pray for us, sinners all.

June Butler (7/17/07)

9 comments:

  1. Sufficient reason, fer sure; Sandro brings us Her grace, doesn't he, as he received it.

    You do such good work on others' blogs, Mimi, maybe I don't say what a good job you do here enough; so add another time and dance with grandpere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely. You've blessed me in four ways--1)lovely Madonna and child 2) Magnificat 3) your prayer 4) you.

    O blessed Mary, pray for us, sinners all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two made me cry, you know - but in a good way. This one is close to my heart.

    I carried my Mary package over with me to the Episcopal Church from the Roman Catholic Church, and I find that I have a good many companions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how lovely! I do very much enjoy your poetry, but I should say so more often...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate and Diane, thank you. I'm a bit shy about putting up my own poems, because I can't judge whether they're any good at all. I can give an opinion on someone else's poetry, but I cannot judge my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lindy. The muse hasn't visited this year. I'm waiting.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.