Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ABBEY HOUSE MUSEUM - KIRKSTALL ABBEY


On my way from Scotland back to the airport in Manchester, I stopped in Leeds to visit with my dear friends, the Doorman-Priest family. DP, the paterfamilias of the family, who blogs at The World of Doorman-Priest, took me first to visit Kirkstall Abbey and the Abbey House Museum. I'd seen the Abbey situated high above the road when I was in Leeds last year and liked the looks of it, and DP told me that it was worth a visit, and indeed it was. In truth, I never saw an old church ruin that I didn't like and want to visit.

The morning started off with rain as DP and I headed for the Abbey grounds after coffee near my hotel. By the time we arrived at the site, the sky was lightening and the rain was less. We visited the House Museum first.

Welcome to Abbey House Museum where you can experience the sights and sounds of life in Victorian Leeds in the year 1880! A journey through the carefully recreated streets and houses of Abbey House Museum is a great day out for all the family.

And so it is - a mini-replica of a High Street with shops containing vintage artifacts from the late Victorian period. My favorite was the pub, which was nicely done and which you see pictured below. I believe the pub was DP's favorite spot, too.



Below is a photo of a vintage artifact dressed in a vintage artifact. DP made me do it! I blame him.



On to Kirkstall Abbey, but in another post. The Abbey deserves a better placement than following the above. The things I do for you people!

12 comments:

  1. Mimi! That's what you were wearing the first time I met you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, I said vintage. :-) Seems like ages since we met. We should remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems you've prematurely sprouted wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lapin, I believe it's supposed to be a collar, but surely the white objects have a wing-like appearance in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking that the wings are not fully developed yet - perhaps you have not attained angel status yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I expect the collar/wings will be fodder for a good deal of high and low humor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh heh.

    "Coming soon to many MP 'Shops near you", Mimi. (But I 'spect you knew that the moment you put it on)

    ReplyDelete
  8. JCF, no doubt, no doubt. Although there's now the possibility that because you and me have said so, the perverse MP won't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, have never seen an old church ruin that I didn't like and want to visit. I should travel with you. My family gets to a certain number and their eyes glaze over and then they start refusing to go anywhere with me.

    I'm looking forward to hearing about all your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Penelope, I'm thinking it may take me a year to tell the tales of my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looked better than the photo sauggests!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DP, it won't work. You're not off the hook.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.