Saturday, March 3, 2007

On Cleaning Other People's Houses

Yesterday, I picked up my grandchildren at school and stayed with them until their father came home. Their house is always a mess, at least according to my standards. My son calls me Mrs. Clean.

He was messy when he lived at home, except when he was smaller than I was, and I could frighten him into obedience about cleaning his room. My daughter's room was a pig sty also, worse than his, really, but she has turned out to be a good housekeeper. Despite having three boys, her house is generally in pretty good shape.

Since his wife left, my son talks a lot about cleaning house, but he never seems to quite get to it. He's had someone come in to clean several times, but it's not a regular thing. I suspect it's partially because he has to pick up before they come. I know of no one who would go in to clean his house, without having things picked up first.

I'll hasten to add that when his wife was there, the house was just as bad. At least he does better with the clothes. While she was there, I'd sometimes find such a large pile of clean clothes on the floor in the living room, that it could have amounted to five washer loads. What a daunting task having to face folding that many loads of clothes at one time. Sometimes I'd fold them while waiting for someone to come home. I couldn't put them away, because I didn't know where they went.

When I arrived at his house yesterday, there was the vacuum cleaner sitting in the middle of the living room. I looked around, and the floor didn't look too clean to me, so I assumed the vacuuming had not yet been done, and I proceeded to do it. Although for my advanced age, I'm still in pretty good shape, vacuuming is something that's hard for me to do. I have a back problem that vacuuming seems to aggravate.

When that chore was done, I looked around the kitchen floor, which is made of brick. That floor didn't look too clean, either. The vacuum doesn't work well on the brick floor, so I decided to sweep. After finishing that, I looked around and felt better about things in those two rooms, expecially after wiping off the tables in the kitchen and living room.

There was a pile of dishes in the sink, but I could not tell if the dishes in the dishwasher had been washed or not, so I let them be.

My son's room was not too bad. He had even made his bed! The children's rooms were a mess, as were the bathrooms. I picked up some towels and washcloths and put them in the washer, and then I decided to quit.

The children wanted popcorn, so I made popcorn. They're allowed to eat all over the house, which my children were not allowed to do, and soon I could see popcorn crumbs around - even in the living room which I had just vacuumed.

I'm sure that you are all spellbound by my house cleaning tale, but what I'm doing here is indulging in a bit of "murmuring". You know, that "murmuring" which caused the Lord God to become angry with the Israelites as they wandered in the desert. Please do not tell the Lord God about my "murmuring", just in case he might not have heard me.

When I clean other people's house, I feel somewhat like a wanderer in the desert.

I forced myself to take part of my regular walk when I got home, and by the time I reached my house after the walk, I was staggering.

Thus endeth the murmuring.

24 comments:

  1. It keeps us humble, Grandmére.

    I've been trying to help my elderly parents with housecleaning. Mom, notices what needs to be done, but is physically unable to do anything about it. Dad, on the other hand, is physically able, but seems to have housecleaning blindness.

    I'm not sure why some have the gift of clean, and others not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KJ, I just know that your home is spotless, but I see that you have experience with a place that's not. It's too bad that the one who can, won't. It's true; some are blind. I thought about you when I was writing the post. My son's house is the land of germs running free.

    I had three children, and it's impossible to keep an orderly house at all times under those circumstances, and I didn't try to. It's just that whenever the disorder got beyond a certain point, I couldn't stand it, and we'd have a family clean-up time that usually involved my raising my voice at least once to get everyone going and finishing the job.

    Call me anal-retentive, but that's how it was.

    Oh, and I never, ever let five loads of clothes go unfolded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm. I'm guilty on the clothes thing, Mimi...except it's not clothes, it's sheets. I have trouble holding my arms up long enough to fold the king size sheets; so they accumulate wadded up until I have no more space in the closet or at the foot of my bed on the cedar chest. I can do towels and pillow cases or the situation would be much worse. If I'd just two one sheet every other day, it would be fine, but I can't seem to think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Share Cropper, if you have a disability, then you should not blame yourself. Hey, why do sheets need to be folded anyway?

    It's just that I would feel daunted and defeated by looking at five loads of clothes waiting for me. Maybe I am a little AR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Germs running free! Run away! Run away!

    It's not that my dad won't; it's just that he doesn't "see" it. We call him a "piler".

    In our home growing up, there were 5 kids, and mom pretty much ran the place as you did (My younger sister was not happy with me one time, when I showed Mom that my sister had simply pushed all her clutter under her bed while "cleaning". Snitch!). Of the 5 kids only I and my older sister became neat freaks, needing order around us. Sadly, the piler gene appeared to be dominant, and when I visit the homes of the other 3, I simply disengage my neatness program for the duration of the visit. As you suspect, I can't do that for my home, but I can when visiting others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I found FLY Lady I have joined the tidier group -- not perfection but nicer to live in. Messy houses are often a sign of depression or overwhelmed with life-ness. FLY Lady gives one baby steps to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I was anal. I wish I wasn't so tolerant of messiness - but I am.

    It makes my husband insane.

    That being said, I have not ever had a mountain of dirty or clean laundry to contend with. I try to keep on top of that. As well as the grocery shopping.

    When you work full-time, and try to exercise, and pray, and read your kids stories, do homework, chase after your kids in their activities and try to have a few enriching activities of your own, soemthing has to give - I pick the house. It will be there when I'm ready to do it, and, the board of health as never threatened to close me down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann - Flylady is great.

    Baby steps. Shine your sink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found, in working with clients, two questions tell me so much about them. The first is asking how they are sleeping. There is a lot there to learn about a client and what they are going through.

    The second is to ask if I walked into their house today, what would I learn about them, what would I see. Very concrete types will tell me how the furniture is laid out and I have to push them with more question. But most people will tell me how neat or how messy it is. Often people will say, "It is a real mess" and that opens the door to learning about what they are going through. Ditto the ones who come in and go on about how spotless and immaculate their home is. It opens up the door to talk about how they see the world and how scary the world might be for them.

    Asking something straightforward like "are you depressed?" or "are you anxious?" will never ever get that kind of information out of someone.

    maybe try to see his home as an experience of what it feels like to be him right now.

    And that was a really nice thing you did in helping straighten it up. I am sure that he appreciated it, as did the kids. Now don't become their free maid :)

    but if you do need a house to clean and feel like visiting the Seattle area, you let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, FLYlsdy is great. Do you think a man could relate? I'll tell my son about it and let him take a look.

    Grace, I agree that my granddaughter could do more. We've been through a great deal of stress over the custody battle. The children are adjusting to a new schedule. Right now, I just want to be with them and love them. I'm not going to be the cleaning policewoman at this time. That time will come. And remember, I'm not the parent.

    Eileen, my heart goes out to the working mothers of today. What I was doing is venting, and I did not mean to make anyone out there feel guilty about their housekeeping.

    One thing I have tried to show my son and his wife over the years is cosmetic housekeeping. You can do just a few things and make a house look pretty good without doing deep cleaning every day. Cosmetic cleaning has been my salvation over the years.

    KJ, my cosmetic housecleaning talk will probably make you crazy and cause you to resolve to avoid my house at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dennis, what you said is quite enlightening. I'm sure that my son feels that his life is pretty chaotic at this moment. This is the first time that he has had his children alone for this long a period of time, and he will need time to adjust to the new schedule.

    Don't worry; I won't become the maid. I can't do vacuuming again. I paid for that over two days. I'll probably continue to do lighter tasks while I'm there.

    This morning he called me to ask where I had put his broom and dust pan, since he never puts them away. It's true; they're always out.

    I believe I'd worry about him even more if his house was totally neat and spotless, since he's never lived like that in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, if you want to cure yourself of the compulsion to clean others' homes, just consider it an "Akinolization" of domestic order - you're working outside your province ;-)

    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. BJ, excellent point. Got to stop that Akinolization. I've always said that I was a Jewish mother, even though I'm not Jewish.

    I'm thinking that in this post I may have revealed more about myself than in any other. Dennis is probably writing me up and classifying me at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mimi - Fear not - the first thing they teach you as a counselor is that you can't cause other people's feelings - you don't have that kind of power! I already feel guilty about it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. stop that. no one gets written up and classified...

    by the way (and I know he'll see this and hate that I asked it) I wonder what is up with MadPriest. He said don't respond to that post, so I won't, but I really wanted to at least reply that whatever it is he is in all of our thoughts and prayers...

    although it may not be bad at all... he may be doing standup comedy at the local pub tonight and he is saving all of his humor (humour?) for his show and not wasting it on us.

    maybe he won the Brit's National Lottery and he is planning a trip to the US that will take him through all of our lovely cities!

    guess we will find out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dennis, it could be a year. We'll just pray.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes. You can tell we are all right freaked out about it, because not a one of us degenerates posted a word to that post.

    Prayers ascending to/for the Mad one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eileen, he told us not to, and we all obeyed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, we did - even though we are not a group known to be good with "obeying" per se.;-)

    Behold the power of God and love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Y'all are causing Wormwood to whisper terrible commands into my ears... ;-)

    Mimi--I think it was lovely that you helped your son out. I suspect he *is* feeling overwhelmed right now---I know the feeling well, even though I was used to doing most of what got done. But somehow, knowing that it is ALL on your watch is a little daunting...

    And I even have help. My grandmother lives with me---actually, we have joint custody of her too, because she goes back and forth with the children---and she is the Laundry Queen. She can't do a lot of the heavier housework (not that I would ask her to!), but I swear she manufactures dirty clothes so that she can do the washing and folding every day! She is a great blessing to us...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Doxy, shall I move in? I'll tell you this: I'm not going to the other place with the children. Much healing is needed on that side.

    Actually he handles the laundry pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My grandmother is a saint--and a hardheaded, stubborn woman. She told both me and my ex that---as long as he was willing to have her under his roof---she WOULD be going back and forth with the children.

    Since she does the laundry, cooks, and looks after the children, what was he going to say?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Doxy, she is a saint. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.