Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Tripping Out

On Friday, my husband and I will be heading to New Orleans for a blogger meet-up with two bloggers from the mighty First Draft and others. My computer is large and sitting on a desk, so it will not be going with me. I will very likely be silent until Sunday night or Monday morning. (Do I detect sighs of relief?)

Athenae and Scout Prime from First Draft will be in our group and will blog our visit. Although she is from Wisconsin, Scout has taken up the cause of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast as though she were a native. We owe her a huge debt. Check in at FD if you want to monitor my antics in New Orleans. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

It won't be all play, as we'll spend Saturday gutting a house under the guidance of ACORN. I am ordered to wear jeans and work boots for the work day. I don't have work boots. I have garden boots and dress boots and athletic shoes. I will throw the garden boots in the car and see what happens.

ACORN will provide respirators. I don't know how much knocking down of walls I will be able to do, but I'm told that I can go get the lunch and carry water, if I fail at everything else. I can do that.

Friday night we'll go to a crawfish boil and then to hear some music. Saturday is the work day. Saturday night is a bloggers dinner, no doubt including the great New Orleans bloggers, whose names you can find in the blogroll at First Draft. Sunday we'll take the bus tour to view the devastation which still remains, of which there is much to see.

I'll give you my version of the weekend when I return.

18 comments:

  1. Safe travels, Mimi! May God bless you in your work and bring you safely back to us.

    Pax,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I read First Draft. I've even commented there. Give them my regards, not that they know me from Adam or anything.

    Have a good, safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandmère, thank you for the warning so we can plan accordingly. However, I must say that your absence would seem to indicate that you do not understand that your blogging is ALL ABOUT US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi, this must be Do-Gooder Construction in Ante-Bellum Land Weekend coming up—my son is cutting a week of classes next week to work on a Habitat for Humanity house in Mississippi. He’s been very active with that group the last two years, but it never seems to have occurred to him to invite the Old Man to join him, though the example of President Carter, and now yours, seem to leave me without excuse.

    Have fun and be careful. Remember, always, to keep this sequence in mind: First, heavy construction, afterwards, and only afterwards, crawdads and Dixie Beer.

    It has been over a decade since I’ve been to New Orleans. If I returned I would, however, be laboring under a new and major disability: ever since a particularly rich serving of Shrimp Alfredo in Gallup, New Mexico, in the late ‘90’s, I have suffered from very painful gout after eating shellfish. The first diagnosis was quite a shock; I had thought that only early modern European monarchs and generals suffered from gout. (The really ironic part was that I ordered that incredibly rich seafood lunch that day because it was a Friday in lent, to observe the precept of “abstention.” One of God’s little jokes, I suppose).

    Do take care. We shall try to behave in your absence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all, for the good wishes, except for KJ. I'm not sure his wishes are good.

    Padre Mickey, I will give the ladies from FD your good wishes Perhaps they will know of you, even though they're a bunch of heathens. Nice heathens, though.

    Rick, if I became allergic to shellfish, I would die. I'm pleased to know that the lack didn't kill you. It seems that we're getting the crawfish and beer first. Sadly and disloyally, my preference is Corona, rather than Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time for a laptop since kj is quite right that it is all about us and you cannot leave us hanging for that long! Think of the children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously though, have a great trip and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are doing a good thing. have fun and be safe. we will be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traveling Mercies, Mimi. Your presence will be a blessing for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi, before you go check out tonights Midnight Jukebox...MadPriest put something on for me that I thought you would enjoy. Of course I can't hear it, but I heard it on FreshAir and thought of you. So Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a Great Time, Grandmere!

    Have a beignet for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Godspeed! Wear your hard hat and watch your step, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, all of you. I leave tomorrow around lunch time, but today I have a busy day, getting my boobies (sorry, Elizabeth, breasts) squeezed by a mammogram machine, and then other grandmotherly chores, and tonight - ALPHA!

    Susan, MP's midnight jukebox choice was gorgeous. Thanks for asking for it. The voice and the piano are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Breast pressing AND Alpha? Slow down, young lady! Talk about your madcap lifestyles!

    Through it all, peace of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Madcap? KJ, my dear, I'd choose another word for the mammogram and Alpha. With the grandchildren, it's always madcap, but at least it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds fun! Have a great time, and "see" you when you get back!

    Have a Corona for me too! (One of my favorite summer time beverages!)

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.