Monday, April 23, 2007

Just Look At This!

Jim Naughton at the Episcopal Café calls our attention to a letter from "A group of Episcopal rectors and cathedral deans, fresh from a retreat in Canterbury".

The first two paragraphs read as follows:

We are members of a clergy colleague group enjoying a retreat at Canterbury Study Centre in the Second week of Easter. While here, we have appreciated the hospitality and history of Canterbury Cathedral itself. Surely this holy place represents the graceful strength and broad wisdom of the entire Anglican Communion of churches. We are proud to locate our own history in this spot, and we are glad that our own ministries are refreshed by our time here.

We can say gratefully and humbly that our own congregations represent centers of faithfulness, outreach and documented growth, something not always reported about mainstream Anglicanism in North America. We believe our growth has something to do with our own practice of invitation and hospitality in the one Lord. We are deeply committed both to the Anglican Communion, and to gays and lesbians as integral members of our communities.


It's way past time that Archbishop Rowan hears from groups such as this. At times, he has seemed truly out of touch with and unaware of the existence of large numbers of priests and parishioners of the Episcopal Church in the US.

Thanks be to God for the voices of these priests.

I'm no theologian, nor am I a Scripture scholar, but when folks tell me that I am wrong in my thinking that all baptized members of the Episcopal Church should be welcomed into the full life of the church, I tell them, "If I make a mistake, I'd rather make it on the side of inclusion, with the Jesus of the Gospels as my model."

9 comments:

  1. good letter. I wonder if Rowan's minions are going to let him read it.

    At this point, though, Rowan is the least of my concern. If the English General Synod finds its backbone the next time it meets then maybe Rowan will have less chance to run around aiding and abetting the Nigerians and Martyn Minns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, although it seems that the ABC lives in something of a bubble, if the letter is publicized enough, maybe he will even ask to see it. Every small step like this helps, I believe.

    When does the English General
    Synod meet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. they just met... they next meet the 6th - 10th of July. they meet a few times a year, as opposed to our GC meeting once every three years.

    upcoming dates for General Synod

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis, thanks. I know very little about the structure of the Church of England, how it functions, who has power, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mimi,

    Just saying hi after a period of silence...

    Richard arrived in Rio for our diocesan synod. Your gift was much appreciated.

    Also, I thank you for your prayers. To be true, I had to lead evensong *and preach*, since the priest in charge of that parish was in the synod last sunday. But it all went OK.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great letter, and you have a great grasp of theology IMO. The Pharisees thought Jesus erred on the side of inclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heard something on the radio last night (NPR? No, wait, Pacifica; it was an LGBT radio program) about ++Williams speaking at a seminary, dissecting Paul's statement in Romans about homosexuality (vaguely remember which passage this a.m.), and how he interpreted it not as a condemnation of gays/lesbians (the usual interpretation) but as pointing out that when we sit in judgment over others, we make ourselves subject to judgment.

    Which is what the Mad Priest would probably call "bog standard Christianity." At least, it's supposed to be. It reminded me of Williams statement to the Primates that there is one thing a Bishop should say to another bishop: "I am a very great sinner, and Christ is a very great saviour."

    He's not providing the leadership model I would like, but I think the ABC may yet muddle through to the right conclusion. All the signs I see here (on this side of the pond, I mean) indicate the anticipation of a "new millenium" and a "new church" that the dissenters envisioned, is not going to come to pass.

    As is usual with such events, especially in this day and age, those who wish to turn back the clock are finding it won't go that way, and nobody really wants to go that way with them.

    Hmmm...maybe I should write about that and quit plugging up your comments section with my mental dandruff....

    Got your e-mail, btw; been too busy to reply. I also have problems with that program on my new machine/OS. But I'm workin' on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Luiz, mon cher. I'll check your blog to see if you wrote about preaching and leading Evensong.

    Please tell Richard, "Thank you," for being my messenger.

    God bless you.

    Pat, I believe that by looking at theological issues through the lens of Jesus' teachings in the Gospels, that perhaps I won't stray far off the right path.

    Of course, I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rmj, clutter up my comments box any time you like. For me, comments are the lifeblood of my blog. So far, I've been blessed in my commenters.

    How many times have I posted long comments at your blog? Too many to count.

    I'm afraid that you are more sanguine about the ABC than I. If he does the right thing, it will be because his hand is forced. He looks more and more like a reed in the wind.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.