Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Feast Day of Julian of Norwich



Julian is one of my favorites among the saints. The constant thread that runs through all of her writing is the limitless love of God for all his creatures, without exception, without qualification, the love that is given freely and can never be earned.


Very little is known about the person who wrote these meditations and reflections, not even that author's name. According to the opening lines of the manuscripts that are available, she was a woman living in England during the fourteenth century. On May 13, 1373, when she was thirty and a half years old, she reported seeing sixteen showings, or mystical visions. Quite soon after this event the young woman recorded the content of these revelations in a text entitled "The Book Of Showings". Some fifteen to twenty years later, she produced an extended version of the same sixteen revelations. At some point in her life she became an anchoress, and entered a cell attached to the Church of St. Julian at Norwich, in East Anglia. She took the name of the patron saint of her anchorhold according to the custom of the anchorites and and anchoresses. It is not known whether she embraced the anchorite life-style before or after she wrote the later edition of the "Book of Showings", but the civil records of Norwich indicate that the Lady Julian remained in the anchorhold at Norwich until her death sometime between 1416 and 1419 A.D.

From the Foreword by Patricia M. Vinje

....

While we are in possession of over fifty manuscripts of her contemporary, Walter Hilton, we have at the most five for Julian. It would seem that her work was not well circulated in her day or in ours. Why is this? I would venture two guesses: First because she is a woman; and secondly, because she is creation-centered. While Hilton's claim to fame was the tired image of climbing the spiritual ladder, Julian ignores such bouquets to established powers for a way of living that is non-competitive, non-compulsive, that is curved and compassionate to all creatures....

From the Foreword by Matthew Fox


From Julian's "Showings":

God said:

"This I am-
the capability and goodness
of the Fatherhood.
This I am-
the wisdom of the Motherhood.
This I am-
the light and the grace
that is all love.
This I am-
the Trinity.
This I am-
the Unity.
I am the sovereign goodness
of all things.
I am what makes you love.
I am what makes you long and desire.
This I am-
the endless fulfilling of all desires."



The quotes above and the version of Julian's words have all been taken from Brenden Doyle's Meditations with Julian of Norwich.

PRAYER
Lord God, who in your compassion granted to the Lady Julian many revelations of your nurturing and sustaining love: Move our hearts, like hers, to seek you above all things, for in giving us yourself you give us all; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

As usual, Saint Pat, at No Claim To Sainthood, was ahead of me with lovely post of her own in honor of Julian.

12 comments:

  1. I love Julian.

    She is also one of my favorites.

    Her goodness, and acceptance is something worthy to strive toward.

    Her words are calming light in the frenzied darkness.

    Thanks, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "This I am" meditation. Beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Julian. Thank you for this.

    All shall be well...

    I get to go back to New Orleans!> I'm going to do oral histories in January. ODR wants to work with me.

    I'm really excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmere Mimi, have you seen what Dennis has been up to today?

    http://notquiterevjph.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all most welcome to the celebration of Julian's feast

    Kirstin, did you know that I went with the crew from First Draft blog to gut a house in New Orleans?

    I'm pleased that you will be doing oral history. The stories of the people in New Orleans must be recorded, and I believe it will be good therapy for them to tell you.

    When I visited the shelters in my town after Katrina, I spent most of my time listening to stories, including a few from folks who came close to drowning.

    I pray you can find a place to stay; that will be the hardest part.

    God bless you for what you do in my home town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, Abuelita Mimi.
    See, you can post on all the medieval saints and I'll do the folks from the first six or seven centuries. I really don't write much about anyone after the seventh century.

    Julian of Norwich was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Padre, thank you. However, kind words will not get you everything. I make no promises not to poach saints in your centuries. I don't put time limits on my choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi,

    This is a wonderful post. I am late today with the celebration, but this, along with Pat's post will form my night's meditation.

    Thank you.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin, thank you. Enjoy.

    I visited your art blog, which I like a lot. The pictures with the haiku work well together. I especially liked "Such a Time", "Her Story", and "Some Wings".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mimi,

    Thank you for your prayers. I'm talking with a priest there who said if others couldn't help me with housing, he could. You dropped by my blog on my most overwhelmed day--I know how wrenching it is to be there, and I need to go back. These stories need to be heard.

    I didn't know you'd gone back to gut a house. Did you write about it? What's the link to First Draft?

    Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirstin, I'm going to try to find links and put them in the comments to this blog of yours, OK.

    "CDSP Mission Trip to New Orleans"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Mimi. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.