Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Supporting The Troops

Yes, I'm obsessed. Yes, I'm depressed. I don't seem to be able to get away from the subject. The killing and the maiming go on without ceasing, and my neighborhood paper continues to supply me with material.

Yesterday, again in the Baton Rouge Advocate, was an account of a Memorial Day tribute on the U.S.S. Kidd, a destroyer which is docked permanently in Baton Rouge.

A retired captain and now state appellate court judge told an audience of about 200 people Monday that supporting the troops needs to be more than lip service.

J. Michael McDonald, who served three years during the Vietnam War as an intelligence officer and then 27 more years in the U.S. Navy Reserve, said he’s worried that American attitudes are turning not just against the war in Iraq, but against the troops themselves.


The judge may be worried that attitudes are turning "against the troops themselves", but in fact, as I see it, Americans are doing a good job of distinguishing between the powerful people who took us into the Iraq War and the troops who lay their lives on the line every day to fight the war. We're not making the same mistake as in the Vietnam War of blaming the troops.

He told those gathered at the USS Kidd Veterans Memorial and Museum on Monday that he remembers having students at Brown University throw rocks at him in 1969.

He said he had friends who were spit on in airports. He also recalled a newspaper story from the time where a returning veteran was told that he deserved his war injuries.


I believe the good judge may be conflating two wars here, Iraq and Vietnam.

“If someone tells you they don’t support the war, but they support the troops, ask them, exactly, how,” McDonald suggested. “If they can’t tell you, they’re not supporting the troops.”

Now I realize that I do not have the judge's credentials. I have never served in the military. I have never fought in a war. However, I'll take a stab at telling the judge how the leadership who sent the troops to war could have supported the troops. Wouldn't the major responsibility to support the troops have rested on the shoulders of those who decided to send them to war?

The judge should be asking the question about supporting the troops of the Bush maladministration, those who ordered the troops into the misbegotten and catastrophic war, and the Congress who enabled them.

Here's what supporting the troops would have meant:

In the first place, supporting the troops would have meant refraining from sending them to attack a country which had not attacked us and was not a threat to us.

Once the leadership decided to go ahead with the war, based on a pack of lies, supporting the troops would have meant sending sufficient numbers of them to keep order once the dictator was toppled.

Supporting the troops would have meant supplying them with enough body armor and armored vehicles to protect them.

Supporting the troops would have meant supplying them with safe food and drinking water, instead of spoiled food and contaminated water served up by the maladministration's best friend, Halliburton.

Supporting the troops would have meant giving the very best medical care to the wounded - and not in hospitals with moldy walls and ceilings, and the best follow-up care to restore them to physical and mental health, sparing them long waiting periods for further care.

Supporting the troops would have meant getting checks to the disabled quickly and sparing them from having to deal with tangled masses of red tape.

Supporting the troops at the present time would mean bringing them home from the killing fields of this unwinnable war, beginning now.

There. I'm sure that this is not an exhaustive list. I'm sure that we failed the troops in ways that I have not mentioned.

Maybe I'm done on the war for a while, but don't count on it. Folks keep saying stupid things and riling me up.

UPDATE: I reworded this post and shortened it some and mailed it to the Advocate. I think it's probably still too long, and they won't publish it, but we'll see. 6-1-07

34 comments:

  1. You keep talking, Mimi. It's silence that has gotten us into this mess.

    And I would send a letter to that judge if I were you. Just copy this post and send it to him.

    BTW---did you ever hear from your bishop? I'm guessing not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto the Doxy. You've articulated one of the greatest hypocrisies of the whole mess: the administration isn't supporting the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doxy, I never did hear from him.

    The diocesan newspaper arrived yesterday with an article to the effect that the Committee on "The Response to the Bishop's Address" affirmed "his resolve 'to remain a constituent member of the Anglican Communion' even as we remain participating members of the Episcopal Church."

    This resolution seems more likely to be a possibility than just a few months ago, I'm pleased to say.

    The Committee says further, "And we ask Bishop Jenkins to continue to offer his gifts to the larger communion and to take an active role in the process toward an Anglican Covenant."

    I think you know my feelings on the covenant. We don't need one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi,
    You've tied right in to how I'm feeling:angry and depressed. My priest wept at mass this morning in frustration as he described Iowa National Guard families interviewed on Sixtie Minutes. The final element of the Iraq debacle is unfolding as the "common man" in the USA looses faith in our shared myth(I mean it in the best,Genesis sense of the word)of American goodness,charity, freedom, and justice.As my mama always admonished,"once you lose your good reputation, it's damned hard to get it back."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Supporting the troops would have been not sending them to war ill prepared to deal with the casualties.
    Due to their negligence this administration has spread a multi drug bacteria to our wounded soldiers and throughout the entire military system and on to our civilian community hospitals all over our country.
    www.iraqinfections.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. John D, it will take decades of good behavior to repair our country's reputation after Bush has dragged it through the dirt. Who knows when the good behavior will even begin?

    With the exception of a few, I am rather quickly losing faith that the Democrats will stand up and show character and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe anyone is still running the "Support the Troops" flag up the flagpole. I live in a community that is terrifically supportive of the military and local police and fire, in part because there is a military base not too far away and the memories of an air force base that was recently closed. Yet I do not see all the Support the Troops car magnets I once did. Unfortunately, the waning enthusiasm for the war doesn't seem to be enough to make politicians dare to take real action.

    BTW, the whole "Support the Troops" slogan has always driven more than a little crazy. I've just tried to blog about it today, but it was difficult to not just scream about it.

    Thanks for helping keeping this all fresh in our minds so we can look for whatever opportunities we can to oppose it. Cindy does, inedeed, deserve a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "He also recalled a newspaper story from the time where a returning veteran was told that he deserved his war injuries."

    It was a book, actually. Sadly, after 25 or 30 years, I can no longer place it, but I recall the shock with which I read the "Serve you right!" comment, made with reference to the author's having lost a leg in combat, and reported in the first paragraph of the book.

    By the time I had finished the book, which was replete with aggressive comments about the Vietnamese and their culture and - I kid you not - repeated, straight-faced use of the words "gook" and "gooks" (those were the days!), the man brought me round to a point where I was in total agreement with the kid who had made the comment to him at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcie, thanks for the link. Isn't that the icing on the cake of deception that we have been fed on "supporting the troops" since the beginning of the war?

    So much for the maladministration's "support of the wounded among the troops". Here's a link to another article on the drug-resistant acinetobacter baumannii infections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're quite right on all this, Mimi.

    What I find discouraging is that the Democrats still can't stand up to this. We recently had a chance to cut funding for the war, and, and Dennis Kucinich pointed out, to do so just requires doing nothing, simply not appropriating the money.

    The way some people tell it, defunding the war would set up scenes of surrounded marines being mssacred when their bullets run out. Which is crazy. If the pentagon knows it runs out of funds on x date, it plans a pull out. It has to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lapin, what a mess we've got ourselves in - again. Very few of those serving or working in Iraq have any knowledge of the culture and history of the ancient civilizations of Iraq - the country which is not really a country.

    Anonymous, yes. Kucinich told us and his colleagues how easy it would be not to appropriate the money.

    My fear is that we may have very little time left to do anything resembling an orderly withdrawal. It could well be a panic withdrawal. Even the Green Zone is no longer a safe haven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (Oops, "anonymous" was me.)

    Don't want you to think that I'm entirely cowering behind the ramparts while you stand on the parapet shaking your fist......

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Back to the one about the difference between Vietnam and Iraq - Bush and Cheney had a plan to get out of Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rick, I know you're not a cowering-behind-the-ramparts kind of guy. I deleted one of your double posts. Blogger acts up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the good people I know are feeling burned out and dispirited. How did we let them do this to us? How do we get ourselves un-tired? Because we (the 72% of us who really support the troops) have to start making some noise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lapin, what happened to those two? Well, one of them was another Bush. Poppy has to be mortified. Cheney has no shame.

    Yes, PJ, even if we're tired, we can't give up. We must soldier on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The deletion was me. I misspelled "Vietnam" and pulled that post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post Mimi!

    Your voice will go on being needed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Turbulent Cleric, thank you for your kind words. Just so you'll know, I am a simple, but turbulent, pew-warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh ma cher Grandmere,

    did you start something, or did you just give it a little push, eh? The madder you get, the more your charm overwhelms me.

    Mercy, chillin, chillin: aint nobody got no time for no damned break. Y'all got to start doin' what you ain't been doin' for a long time now, and that's to pay serious attention to what this twisted ball of con artist Cottonmouths AKA the leading candidates, are saying and doing, and to start holding them and their media accountable.

    And, no, I don't have any idea how to do that, though I'm a damned fine critic, if I must say it; I only know if we rest going into '08, we die. So look and read and talk among yourselves; that's all I know how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. And, as I noticed going out, remember your sister Riverbend and her kin when you say your prayers, you hear?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Johnieb, what shall I say? We do what we can do.

    Yes, we must remember Riverbend.

    "... I'll meet you 'round the bend my friend, where hearts can heal and souls can mend..."

    I wish we could meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  24. you tell 'em, Mimi.

    perhaps you should take these thoughts and see if you could put together a 350 word or so guest editorial for the paper.

    It would be nice to see these thoughts more often in the places where we all supposedly turn to for "news"

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dennis, they'd never give me a guest editorial, but I thought about shortening it and making the same points in a letter to the editor. The Advocate is pretty good about publishing whole letters and not shredding them up so that the meaning is destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah, Mimi,

    I meant to compliment you for your fine work of late; I hoped that was apparent, but I'm more certain now.

    We do what we can; yes, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Grandmere, I do love you. This really needs to be published somewhere other than here among your choir.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LJ, thank you.

    Well, here it is. All I can think of is the letter to the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know it's old-fashioned, but when some things fail (and while all other things are ongoing), pray. We've been given two "formal" opportunities to do this in our parish --- each Sunday during early and later services, by name, for each young soldier who has died during the preceding week, for their loved ones, for ourselves and that the killing might end; and again on Tuesday evenings in the chapel, "Compline for Those Who Have Died in Armed Conflict." And it doesn't hurt to pray for our leaders, too --- whether we like them or not. Nothing precludes prayer on not-so-formal occasions as well.

    I am, by the way, a Vietnam veteran and remember all of that quite clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Frank, you are quite right. We can pray. I used to pray for our leaders every day, but I got out of the habit, and I need to get back into the habit.

    I do go to the Iraq Casualty Count website each day and pray for the dead and the wounded and their families and friends. The link is on my blogroll.

    Three of our young church members have been in and out of Iraq more than once. Some of their families are for the war and some are against it, so it's a delicate situation. We do pray for them and for peace.

    Being a Vietnam veteran, I'm sure you remember those times better than I.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting how self-righteous and cranky my comment reads --- should have had another cup of coffee before writing it. What I meant to say is that yes we should be jumping up and down and yelling about this war, but praying first, during and after; and never losing sight, never, ever, that those are our kids over there (as surely as if we gave birth to them) and that every trigger that's pulled is pulled by a finger that's an extension of ours. No fair saying "I didn't vote for George Bush and I disapproved of this war from the start so it's not my fault and YOU should stop it. I've already tried that.

    If you're interested in wading, I had my modest say about things after Memorial Day a year ago and you can find that under the June 2006 postings in the blog that should pop up when you punch my name here. (Sorry, but I don't know how to take you directly there.)

    Peace, as we used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Frank, I did not find your first comment "self-righteous and cranky" at all.

    I waded in and found your post, which I thought was very good. I recommend that my readers follow the link. I hope I found the right post.

    I have a friend who is now very much anti-war, and who served in Vietnam as a captain of a supply depot. The supply headquarters was relatively safe, but he and his men had to make dangerous runs to supply the troops in the fields. He said he did not think much about the war then, but simply tried to do his job well, protect his troops as well as he could, and get the supplies to the men in the field.

    After he returned home, he did see veterans treated badly - a grave mistake on the part of those of us who did not serve. Many of those who went to Vietnam were drafted and had no choice but to go.

    Thanks for directing me to your post, Frank.

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am reminded of the epigram,

    "If you're not angry, you're not paying attention."

    Amen to the post and all the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.