Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Visitation Of Mary



The Visitation by Domenico Ghirlandaio - Musée du Louvre, Paris


Image from The Web Gallery of Art

Coming in the midst of our present time of war and grief are stories of new life springing forth. During the time preceding the Visitation, the angel Gabriel was about his business of carrying messages from God announcing impending births, first to Zechariah, telling him that his wife Elizabeth was to give birth to a son, and then a few months later to Mary, giving the news of her pregnancy, although she knew not man.

Soon after learning that she was with child, Mary set off to visit her cousin Elizabeth, who, in her old age, had conceived her child, John The Baptist, the herald of Mary's child, Jesus, Our Savior.

Where was Joseph during this time that Mary visited her cousin? Hard at work at his carpentry in Nazareth, I suppose.

The reading from the Gospel for the feast of the Visitation includes The Magnificat, Mary's song of praise, one of the most glorious prayers in all of the history of Christianity.

In the Old Testament Book of Samuel, we read of Hannah, the mother of Samuel, who also conceived in her old age, after giving up hope of having a child. She prayed in thanksgiving and praise to God after the birth of her son, who became a judge and a prophet. Hannah's prayer prefigures Mary's prayer.

1 Samuel 2:1-10

Hannah’s Prayer

Hannah prayed and said,
‘My heart exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.
My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in my victory.

‘There is no Holy One like the Lord,
no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.
Talk no more so very proudly,
let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge,
and by him actions are weighed.
The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.
Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are fat with spoil.
The barren has borne seven,
but she who has many children is forlorn.
The Lord kills and brings to life;
he brings down to Sheol and raises up.
The Lord makes poor and makes rich;
he brings low, he also exalts.
He raises up the poor from the dust;
he lifts the needy from the ash heap,
to make them sit with princes
and inherit a seat of honour.
For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s,
and on them he has set the world.

‘He will guard the feet of his faithful ones,
but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness;
for not by might does one prevail.
The Lord! His adversaries shall be shattered;
the Most High will thunder in heaven.
The Lord will judge the ends of the earth;
he will give strength to his king,
and exalt the power of his anointed.’



Luke 1:39-55

The Visitation

In those days Mary set out and went with haste to a Judean town in the hill country, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leapt in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud cry, ‘Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the child in my womb leapt for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfilment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.’

And Mary said,
‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.

He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.’



PRAYER

Father in heaven, by whose grace the virgin mother of your incarnate Son was blessed in bearing him, but still more blessed in keeping your word: Grant us who honor the exaltation of her lowliness to follow the example of her devotion to your will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.


I highly recommend that you visit In A Godward Direction, Tobias Haller's blog, to listen to his musical composition: Setting of the Magnificat from "Mountain Vespers" by Tobias Stanislas Haller BSG, sung by the members of the Brotherhood of Saint Gregory.

It's lovely.

And isn't Ghirlandaio's painting beautiful?

14 comments:

  1. Yes, Mimi, the painting is beautiful. I am glad to see that you have a different take on the Visitation than that rascal MadPriest.

    I did not realize until today that my son was born on Visitation Day! He is 32 and he's a priest...of course I said this over at MP's place, but I just had to say it again! I didn't say that he will be priest-in-charge starting the first Sunday of July at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Sycamore, Illinois. This is his first 'on his own' position. He was a curate for the last two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, that is awesome. Please congratulate your son for me. You're busting your buttons, aren't you?

    I will say a prayer for him as he starts his new ministry.

    I love doing the arty, biblical, prayerful feast day posts, but they don't get the response that an anti-war post gets.

    There may be a few venturing over here expecting an adults-only blog, thanks to MadPriest's parenthesis on his blogroll, but will they ever be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks for prayers, Mimi! His name is David, but he likes to be called Dave.
    Yes my buttons are bustin' off. But mostly because my clothes are too small. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi,
    I recently came across a lesson that said that the story of the visitation is a great teaching model for the difference between men and women. When the angel spoke to Mary, she wanted to talk about it, then she talked about she felt and then she went and talked about it with her cousin.

    Joseph listened, did as he was told and went back to work.

    La plus ca change...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hacker, that's very good. I see the seeds of a sermon there, if any of the preachers want to take it up.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Grandmère,
    Thanks for the link and the kind words. And thank you also for the wonderful paintings you've been posting. Some are old friends, but some are new, and it is a treat...
    God bless you!

    ps, my new avatar is my dear kitty Augusta Victoria, in her youth... She is now settled into active middle age and has grown a bit rounder! She approves of the use of the earlier photo, naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tobias, of course your kitty loves the more svelte and youthful photo.

    If I ever put my own picture up, I will use one from the time I was around 27 years old. That's how old I feel inside. I'm still shocked when I look into the mirror and see my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'm still shocked when I look into the mirror and see my mother."

    Sorry for being a blog hog here Mimi, but that made me laugh. When I went back to Tennesse for my Mother's funeral in November, I was told by many at the visitation, "Lordy, you look just like Miss Helyn."
    It came so frequently that soon I was walking up to folks and saying, Hey, I'm Susan. Don't I look just like Miss Helyn?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I love visitors any time.

    Better to get it out there first, huh?

    I looked up the church where your son will be serving. It's a substantial building, that's for sure. It seems like a good place for him to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it's been there since 1878 or 87. He fell in love with the church and the people. It is a small congregation, but they have a very active Sunday School for the kids. He said that they have a good number of children considering that the ASA is about 75 folks per week. We'll see what happens. He said the organist has been there something like 40 years! Dave says he seems very enthusiastic.

    Apropos of nothing else here, I am retiring soon and my employers are giving me a new computer! I can hardly wait because then I will be able to sign up here at blogger and be able to get to folks a lot easier. I might even get DSL or something so that I don't have to wait up to 3 minutes to open up some of my favorite blogs...like yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. susan s.,

    Congratulations on your son's new position.

    Small world. I know the area well (though the parish only by reputation), having lived and worked there for nearly ten years, from the time my first child was born, until we moved away about eight years ago. A former rector of St. Peter's married me and my current husband.

    It's a lovely area (and, as a bonus, the church is practically on the Pumpkinfest parade route -- a major event, bringing folks and marching bands from all over the state). It's grown quite a bit in the last several years, since some people in the western Chicago suburbs have migrated out there in hopes of lower housing prices and more space, but since (last I heard) the commuter trains don't go out that far, it hasn't gotten too overrun by suburbanites. Historically, the Northern Illinois University faculty and staff have shied away from St. Stephen's, preferring the more eclectic mix of people at nearby St. Paul's, but St. Stephen's does well at drawing young families.

    I hope the parish treats him well. Sounds like he's just what they may need right now. My prayers are with him and his ministry.

    Mimi,

    I've so enjoyed this painting and readings today. The Magnificat always gives me goosebumps -- maybe because of all the different varieties of musical settings for our Evensongs, I know the words almost by heart. And how wonderful to see the way different visual artists have been inspired. You and Jane (Acts of Hope) and Mark (Enough About Me) have provided a marvelous gallery of images today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Klady, thank you. I've been around to the sites you mentioned and enjoyed the different readings and reflections and beautiful pictures. Ed at Simple Village Organist has a nice post up too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Correction: Of course I meant "St. Peter's" (not "St. Stephen's").

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.