Sunday, June 10, 2007

Tagged!

1. I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.
2. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.


1. I'm from a rather typical New Orleans gumbo mixture of a heritage. My ancestors were French, Cajun French, Spanish, English, Portuguese, and German.

2. I was born and grew up in that great ruin of a city, New Orleans, and lived there until I was 23 years old, but I have not lived there since. I still miss New Orleans.

3. I attended Roman Catholic schools for 16 years of my life and was a member of the RCC until I was 60 years old.

4. I was a bookish child, and I am a bookish adult, but I am now a computer addict, so I don't read as many books as I did.

5. My first car was a 1953 Chevrolet Bel-Air hard-top convertible - used, with a good many miles on it.

6. I don't much care for Holy Trinity Brompton's "Alpha" course.

7. I love Dixieland Jazz, ragtime, rock and roll, Cajun and Zydeco, romantic slow-dancing music, classical music, and many other kinds of music. Do you get that I like music?

8. I love the Episcopal Church, warts and all.

OK, now I've done three out of five of the instructions. But I cannot, I cannot bring myself to tag eight other people, therefore I will fail on four and five.

Consider this: three out of five ain't bad. It's a majority.

14 comments:

  1. My first car was a '64 olds dynamic 88. What a boat. A party barge. And it was a two door.

    435 cubic inch displacement. Wish I still had it. I named it Lazerus because it was always rising from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, I remember the Olds 88, a boat of a car, indeed.

    I have the fondest memories of our 1973 Mercury Montego, that we bought brand new for 2 grand. I think no one else wanted it. It was an ugly rust color.

    When my brother-in-law saw it, he said, "Well, you got a lot of front end for your money." It had one of the longest hoods that I have ever seen.

    Before it was two weeks old, I had clipped the post of the car port, and messed up the front fender, much to the ire of my husband.

    However, we took several family driving vacations riding five and sometimes six people in comfort.

    But I did love my '53 Chevrolet. I drove it to its death, but it never resurrected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, you just reminded me of my grandmother, who always named the family car Ebenezer, after the old hymn: "Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy help I've come."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, it's always a song with you. Do you think life is a song?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I really want to admit that my first car was a ukky pea green, very used Studebaker? (anyone remember that make?)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and your good wishes grandmere

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serena, I remember the Studebaker. They were truly distinctive looking cars. That was a nasty pea-green color back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1969 VW bug with a rebuilt engine. It was late 1976. I totalled it less than a year later in an almost head-on with a Plymouth at night in the rain. My seat belt probably saved my life, or a least a chunk of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, thank God for the seat belt. Was that a later installation, or did the VW have seat belts in 1969?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A powder-blue, '66 Ford Falcon, when I was a teenager. We lived in the country so that you could just leave the keys under the floormat. (We never locked the doors of the house either.) I would drive it until it was on fumes and then leave it in the driveway until they gassed it back up.

    The first car I ever owned by myself was a VW bug, circa 1970s, bright yellow. Its name was Max.

    Poor Max died on the Autobahn. RIP.

    My favorite car of all time was a VW Rabbit diesel named DangerBunny after an indie band.

    "I once had a car
    That was more like a home
    I lived in it, loved in it
    Polished its chrome
    If some of my homes
    Had been more like my car
    I probably wouldn't have
    Traveled this far"

    (Paul Simon)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aghaveagh, our first car after we were married was a powder green Falcon, with standard transmission. The standard shift was the bane of my existence, because when trying to move forward on an incline, with a car close behind, it rolled backwards.

    It's fittin' that the Volk car died on the Autobahn.

    Awww...Dangerbunny. How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dunno if the seat belts were standard issue with the original Bug. Sure glad I had 'em though. The radio, by the way, kept playing after the crash! So there I was strapped in in my crumpled Bug on that dark rainy night (returning from a pastoral call to an older couple, one of whom was weeks from death -- I was 24 1/2 at the time, oh my) and the radio was blaring away...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane, the radio kept on keeping on. Surely one of life's ironies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1969 Triumph, with overdrive, purchased on an overseas plan; I took delivery in a Houston parking garage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Johnieb, a Triumph. Weren't you the cool one.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.