Thursday, July 5, 2007

Episcopal Blogger

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a label for Episcopal Blogs on another blog - I can't remember which one - and I thought I'd go to their site and maybe sign up. As I was filling out the form, I came to a section which required me to give a description of my blog. I stopped cold. I had no idea how to describe my blog. None.

I started the blog, because I had to create a faux blog to comment on certain sites, which left a blank screen before me that was much too tempting.

Once the writing began, I had a space to talk about my delight in the election of Bishop Katharine, since there was the great silence about it in my church. To this day, her name has not been publicly mentioned in my hearing, except in the "Prayers of the Faithful". Later, I wanted to talk about my pleasure in watching her installation ceremony as Presiding Bishop on the webcast. Apparently, no one else in my church had watched it. A few did, after I recommended it to them.

Since it seems to me a matter of simple justice that all baptized members of the Episcopal Church, including LGTB members, be entitled to full rights of membership, including equal consideration for Holy Orders, I wanted to talk about that, too, without stirring up a ruckus in my church.

We had a bit of a dust-up during our period without a rector, when a gay priest served as a supply priest a few times. A small number of people in the congregation stated that they would not attend when he presided at the Sunday services.

My blogfathers and blogmother are Rmj at Adventus, MadPriest at Of Course, I Could Be Wrong, and old friends Robin and Roger at Dharma Bums. All of these folks are younger than I, but age is not a consideration with blogparents and blogchildren.

I learned from all of them. Robin and Roger, with their beautiful writing, taught me their gentle ways and their practice of responding to comments. Robert taught me so much about how to do a blog, about getting over my obsession with George W. Bush, about living the Christian life, about theology, and philosophy. I was mostly out of my depth with the last two, but I find I learn a lot in the company of folks who are smarter and more learned than I. MadPriest made me laugh, when I really needed to laugh, and commenting there set me free to unleash the irony that was about to break the chain. You know, I believe that my irony frightens folks sometimes in face to face encounters, but who would I frighten at OCICBW?

But I digress. I believe I was talking about Episcopal Blogs and having no clue as to how to describe my blog. I did ask Rmj to help me with a description - I had to ask twice before he answered - and he finally called it "a place of repose". Isn't that lovely? He could not have said anything that would please me more. Of course, he might have said that just to get me off his back. However, I'm a bit embarrassed to give my own blog that label, therefore, I remain at a loss for a description. I write about whatever pops into my head or whatever I read that strikes me as something I can quote and elaborate on.

To join Episcopal Blogs, I would have to do another password, more signing in, and put up something on my front page. In the end, it seemed like too much trouble, and I still could not describe my blog, therefore, I gave up the idea. For now, I remain an informal Episcopal blogger.

21 comments:

  1. Chere grand-mere, I am there with you. I tried to join but never heard back from Episcopal bloggers. So I, too, am an uncounted Pisky blogger. And to describe my blog? I tried in April in a post where I talked about my entries being like 16th-century Flemish miniatures. BTW, I did the movie rating and my blog came out for General Audiences (because of the word death being used twice).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caminante, I began reading about your walk. It sounds wonderful, but difficult. I have never been to Spain, but I want to go - badly.

    I did the rating thing again, and I came out G, too, the second time around. That's pretty humiliating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am the arbiter of niceness, let's call it a nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KJ, a nice blog! Brilliant. You're such a nice boy to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're enjoying the description of the walk. Keep going back to the earlier entries; this is a work in progress and I will probably add to earlier entries as well. I am working right now without my journal so the written part is sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, you are far from an informal blogger. I like to check in with your writing because it is good and considered and it speak the voice of my era in the South. And I love your comebacks on Maddy's turf. We have to keep him in line or he becomes too mad.

    I too like a place of calm since my diocese is not.

    I started blogging the same way you did and got embroiled in the whole nastiness that we face in my diocese. It is good to hear that you have been able to keep your head when things have been rather raucus in your neck of the woods.

    I am just tired and am taking a season with the Lutherans because of the fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muthah+, I'm still fed by my Sunday Eucharists and other services in my church.

    My blog has been great for me to have conversations with folks like you and my other visitors who comment, which, except for a few like-minded souls, I don't have much of in my church.

    My choices for other churches in my area are Roman Catholic (I can't go back there), Southern Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, or various pentecostal churches.

    I love the emphasis on the Eucharist in TEC, and that's what keeps me rooted, for now. Also, I am quite fond of many folks in my church parish, and it would be a wrench to leave them.

    Each of us must do what we must do. Much as I love having my internet contacts, I cannot make my way without a connection to a local church community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi, if your wonderful blog, which so many of us have come to love and count on, is a place of repose, it is a place of *fierce* repose! You seem to write from a place of stillness (maybe rooted in the Eucharist) from which you can engage as fiercely as may be required with the world as it is. Or as tenderly or humorously.

    It sounds as though getting to be an 'official' Episcopal blogger is not worth the effort. Carry on; we all know where you are!

    And of course, MadPriest has already given you a rating ...

    Love ya, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. G.M. - I am a new reader who will be a regular. First, I'll "fess up." I am a feminist backsliding Episcopalian, upset with the powers that be in my diocese, among the most conservative in the nation. I am also a bit obsessed with OCP (our current president).

    I am in awe of your connection to the Eucharist, and a little envious. But I want to learn from you. I shall return regularly, even if you can't describe your blog. It speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whats wrong with what we have now. Most of the folks who comment on things religious seem to find blogs of interest without too much trouble. This sounds like one more attempt to categorize and pigeon hole. It's like a bunch of would be bloggers who can't seem to get attention on their own, so they are now going to organize all the blogs that have earned everybody's attention.

    I don't see folks like you or MP or Elizabeth needing an organization to bring readers to you. Only my opinion of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaah! You folks are too kind. I hope the people who come here to find x-rated stuff turn their anger toward MadPriest, and not towards me.

    Bill, I was never much of a joiner anyway, so it's probably for the best.

    Carol Gee, welcome. Trust me. I am in awe of my connection to the Eucharist, too. It's a wondrous and glorious gift.

    I am horrified by what OCP and OCVP are doing, but I am over my obsession. What helped me to get over it was to pray for them, as Jesus told us to do.

    I don't mean to be a Pollyanna, for the obsession was hurting me a lot more than it was hurting Bush/Cheney, so I did myself a favor.

    Please do come again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very simple, Mimi: yours is The Grandmother of All Blogs.

    But seriously, I think Sr. MC is on to something with the "fierce repose." And your own comment that you post about whatever resonates with you. It makes me feel like I know you.

    It's just not gonna be possible to capture the essence of our Grandmère in a catch-phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh joy! I'm everybody's grandmother.

    Ed, you're the best, by far, of the simple village organists who write blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is good to be informal, sometimes. They might try to shove a covenant down your throat if you join!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My blog somehow became an Episcoblog at a moment when it all worked easily -- probably because some overworked volunteer person had a second to pay attention.

    It was important to me to get that listing because I don't, on the blog, write hardly at all about Episcopal church issues. I hope everything I write somehow expresses my faith in life and action, though it probably fails at that more than I want to realize.

    Your blog -- it falls in my mental category of "words from the wise..." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mark, you're right. I might have to sign a covenant, and I have been quite outspoken about a certain covenant, so I would not get entangled with another.

    Jan, maybe your blog was where I saw the label. Thanks for your kind suggestion of a description, but I could hardly say that about myself, if I want to appear humble.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chere Grandmère,
    I don't know you manage it, but your blog is simultaneously down-to-earth and walking on air. I know I can count on you for that rare combination of honest common sense and charity. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really, folks, I was not seeking out compliments when I wrote the post (tee hee), but they came anyway, and I love them. Mea culpa.

    Of course, I could not use any of the complimentary descriptions at Episcopal Blogs, or I would open myself to the accusation of being prideful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. (((Mimi)))

    I luf your blog.

    I would describe it as one woman's journey to find peace, truth, justice and honesty in all things made by God (except George Bush!)

    And down in front or she'll kick yer ass...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eileen, Jane, I luf you.

    And, yeah, I be takin' names and kickin' ass.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.