Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I Put Up My Flags


Picture from The Memory Hole

I put up my flag on my porch.

I reread The Declaration of Independence.

We will go to my daughter's house for a barbecue - a typical American family Fourth of July celebration.

I wanted to put a picture on my post in honor of the holiday, but the picture that kept coming to my mind was this one that I used on Memorial Day. Here it is again: the flags covering the coffins of the fallen troops coming into Dover Air Force Base from Iraq or Afghanistan.

As I was reading the Declaration once again, I took note of these words:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

The rights were not inalienable for the slaves, nor for the Native Americans who are referred to in the document as "the merciless Indian Savages".

It's a noble document of lofty sentiments in its cry for freedom, but it is far from perfect. Our independence was won by the shedding of blood.

The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights are noble documents, also filled with lofty sentiments, but again are not perfect. For the sake of union, the Founding Fathers did not do away with slavery. Fourscore and seven or so years later slavery was finally ended by the shedding of blood. More blood was shed over the years during the wars with Native Americans.

Noble documents, noble words, noble intentions, but not perfect. The ideas, rights, and laws in the documents are valuable still, worth striving to implement in the ordering of our society today, despite being gravely threatened by our present government.

On this day, as you do whatever you do on the Fourth of July, give a thought and a prayer to those who have given their all in our present wars, 3586 in Iraq and 408 in Afghanistan. Give a thought and a prayer to the wounded in body, (34,650 in Iraq and 6213 in Afghanistan) mind, and spirit (count unknown). Give a thought and a prayer to the families and friends of the dead and the wounded.

And remember in your thoughts and prayers the troops who lay their lives on the line every single day, far from home and loved ones.

I wish all a Happy Fourth of July, but right at this moment, I'm not feeling happy. Maybe tomorrow.

UPDATE: Today's readings from the Lectionary resonated powerfully with me. I take note especially of the Gospel reading:

Matthew 5:43-48

‘You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mimi, for putting up all your flags.

    I watched a PBS program ("P.O.V.: Standing Silent Nation")last night about the Lakota's effort to grow hemp as a cash crop against the DEA's efforts to stop them. It also showed how over the years their overall territory has shrunk to something the size of Connecticut.

    I will remember all these in prayer today.

    I'm not happy right now either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What should we be doing? We seem so passive in the face of the terrible situation in the country - indeed, around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting piece on George W, George III, and the Declaration in today's Guardian

    http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/ian_williams/2007/07/george_iii_or_george_w.html

    Its author quotes snippets of the Declaration on G III and uses them to illuminate the activities of our current head of state. In many ways, the Constitution assigns the powers of an 18th c British king to the presidency - sometimes more; the royal veto, for instance, has not been used in almost 300 years - 60 years before Independence. At times it seems that the present administration, with its emphasis on the "unitary presidency" and presidential prerogative, is seeking to acquire the powers of earlier, uncompromising monarchs. Charles I and his son James II/VII were the last monarchs uncompromising in their support of the "royal prerogative".

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one is calling for us to make sacrifices, as was done during WWII. We lead our lives as though there is no war. That's the most shameful part about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, that clip from the Dover AF base manual is tough. We need to be confronted with the reality of what this administration has done in our name. (I am not terribly coherent because the whole situation is so horrible.) I go to regular protests against the war but there is a part of me that says, 'A quoi bon?' But I still go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what I keep thinking about today. Thank you. Remember always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lapin, that was a mouthful from Williams at the Guardian. We have our version of George III today, the madness of our own King George.

    Caminante, we have no protests nearby that I can participate in. I'd be a single protester. I'd do it if the opportunity arose, and I'd get satisfaction from it, but as you say, to what good.

    Cynthia, the only folks making sacrifices are the troops and their families and friends. It is shameful.

    Jan, I can't forget. My heart hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catching up on my reading, so posting late ... I'm not happy either. "What should we be doing?" Indeed! I feel too passive .. and so helpless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it time for a large demonstration? I think the ones we have to goad into action now are the Democrats. We need to make them more afraid of the people than the pundits.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.