Tuesday, October 16, 2007

From Luiz

Our friend, Luiz Coelho, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, sent me this video showing the services at Christ the King Anglican Church located in the City of God, one of the worst slum areas in Rio. Luiz and his parish priest serve the people at the church in the neighborhood, with special outreach to the children.

In the video, Luiz is on the right holding the cup as the priest gives communion.

The picture on the upper right of my blog, titled "Wounded Bird", was painted by Luiz' father, who is now deceased. Luiz gave me permission to use it on my blog.

The email from Luiz ends with this:

"No to hate and yes to love,
No to death and yes to life,
No to falsehood and yes to truth,
No to oppression and yes to justice,
No to cruelty and yes to mercy,
No to violence and yes to the path of peace,
No, no matter what it may cost, and yes, no matter what it may cost.
For you are the source of love leading to reconciliation and forgiveness."
(a Sabeel prayer - http://www.sabeel.org)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mimi,

    Thanks so much for this. Please send Luiz my love. I will look forward to watching the video when I return. I am off to the mountains in a couple of hours and dashing about (mindfully ;-)) getting things done and packed. Wanted to let you know Anne Kennedy (Matt Kennedy's wife) had a safe delivery of her baby. I check in on her blog with some regularity. There are photos there now and she blogged while in labor!

    You'll be in NYC around the time I return from Western NC. Hug everyone for me and lift a glass (or two) for me. And keep Ed (Simple Village Organist) in your prayer, he has vanished off the map. I am going to make further inquiries.

    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, have a lovely trip. I will hug everyone for you. You know, we southerners love hugging.

    We will raise a glass to our friends who are not able to be with us.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.