Saturday, November 24, 2007

"Disappeared" In The Phillipines

From the website of the United Methodist Church:

"I keep on telling my members in my church that my intention is not to make you very good Episcopalians; I would like you to become very good Christians first," said the Rev. Rex Reyes, an Episcopal priest and member of the National Council on Churches in the Philippines.

Reyes was on the writing team that documented killings of more than 800 civilians and the "disappearances" of another 200 in a 2007 report to members of the U.S. Congress and the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva.

"Christianity is not just a social club," he said. "It is a movement primarily of people who are concerned that everybody should have abundant life. And clearly in our experience, the reason the National Council of Churches in the Philippines is howling is that its people are howling."


Under the leadership of the United Methodist Church "wave after wave" of Christians from the United States have visited different areas in the Philippines to talk to grieving families and neighbors and document the stories of those who have been killed or have "disappeared".

Reyes can't understand why governments continue to treat their people harshly. Ferdinand Marcos ruled like a despot for 20 years. The priest spoke before Congress this year detailing human right violations by the leadership in the Philippines.

Reyes said the Scriptural teaching that all people are created in God's image is "not an empty statement for Christians. Christian people ought to be bothered when people are getting killed," he said.

He also reminds that there is power in prayers. "We ask that the Philippines not be forgotten. Pray for not just us but all people who are suffering," he urged.


As Fr. Reyes asks, let us speak out and pray for the people of the Philippines and, especially for the safety of those, like Fr. Reyes, who work to shed light on the injustices committed there, that they may not join the ranks of those killed or "disappeared".

Update: Thanks to Dennis at Psychology, Dogs, Politics and Wine for the link to the article.

5 comments:

  1. So good. This is something I'll send to my Methodist friends at the church I used to go to! I know my dear friend GL, who is an associate pastor, will love this. She loves the true Methodist Church, as do I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us abreast of the big picture, Mimi. I borrowed shamelessly (with credit) and passed it on. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more passing on, the better. I was not aware of this until Dennis sent me the link to the article in an email. Which reminds me that I did not give him credit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an important post Grandmere, thanks for bringing it forth and to Dennis too.

    "Christianity is not a social club..." Amen to that.

    You have quite a ministry going here beautiful Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog is taking over my life. I never imagined that happening. Good thing I'm retired. Grandpère thinks I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.