Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Feast Day Of St. Stephen The Martyr


Saint Stephen - Giotto di Bondone - 1320-25 - Tempera on wood
Museo Horne, Florence

The church brings us quickly back down to earth from the glorious celebration of the birth of the God-Incarnate and turns us to the story of the stoning of Stephen, the first martyr, and the reality of the cost of discipleship to those who chose to follow the way of Jesus. Paul-Saul, not yet converted, as yet persecuting Christians, stands by to witness Stephen's stoning.

I've wondered at the close association of these two feasts, one following the other. Why must we have reality thrust upon so quickly? Why are we abruptly torn away from our rejoicing that God chose to empty himself to become human, one of us, like us in every way? I pray I find wisdom in pondering the question. What I've stated above seems the closest I can come to an explanation. It's back to work in the establishment of the Kingdom of God here on earth, ever keeping in mind that looking backwards in time, we find that both the law and the prophets called the faithful from ancient times to act mercifully, kindly, and justly toward each other and especially toward the least amongst us, with the result that the laws were, in many instances, ignored and the prophets were often killed for their troubles.

To free the Apostles for prayer and preaching, Stephen was one of seven chosen to manage the financial affairs of the church in Jerusalem and to distribute equally to the poor, the widows, and the orphans amongst the Christian Hellenists and the Christian Hebrews. Thus Stephen's association with Boxing Day, the day of giving gifts to the workers, the servants, and the poor.

Acts 6:8-7:2,51-60

The Arrest of Stephen


Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and others of those from Cilicia and Asia, stood up and argued with Stephen. But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he spoke. Then they secretly instigated some men to say, ‘We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.’ They stirred up the people as well as the elders and the scribes; then they suddenly confronted him, seized him, and brought him before the council. They set up false witnesses who said, ‘This man never stops saying things against this holy place and the law; 14for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses handed on to us.’ And all who sat in the council looked intently at him, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.
Stephen’s Speech to the Council

Then the high priest asked him, ‘Are these things so?’ And Stephen replied:

‘Brothers and fathers, listen to me. The God of glory appeared to our ancestor Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran,

‘You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you are for ever opposing the Holy Spirit, just as your ancestors used to do. Which of the prophets did your ancestors not persecute? They killed those who foretold the coming of the Righteous One, and now you have become his betrayers and murderers. You are the ones that received the law as ordained by angels, and yet you have not kept it.’

The Stoning of Stephen

When they heard these things, they became enraged and ground their teeth at Stephen.* But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. ‘Look,’ he said, ‘I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!’ But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him. Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, ‘Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.’ Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ When he had said this, he died.


Eucharistic Readings:

Psalm 31 or 31:1-5;
Jeremiah 26:1-9,12-15; Acts 6:8--7:2a,51c-60; Matthew 23:34-39

Preface of the Incarnation

Daily Office Readings:

AM: Psalm 28, 30; 2 Chronicles 24:17-22; Acts 6:1-7
PM: Psalm 118; Wisdom 4:7-15; Acts 7:59-8:8


PRAYER

We give you thanks, O Lord of glory, for the example of the first martyr Stephen, who looked up to heaven and prayed for his persecutors to your Son Jesus Christ, who stands at your right hand: where he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting.


See also the post from Ormonde, who is a deacon in the Episcopal Church. He has written books on the diaconate and writes regularly at his blog about the lives of deacons in the church.

Image from the Web Gallery of Art.

13 comments:

  1. Whenever I read this passage I think I would have wanted to pick up a stone and toss it at Stephen - he certainly had a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tend to underestimate the gritty elements of the nativity stories: the long journey late in pregnancy, the newborn in the feed trough, fleeing for one's life while children are killed. It is clear that Matthew and Luke both saw the child as a threat to the powers that be and the ways of the world. By the time we cover it with fresh snowfall and some starlight it all seems so much more peaceful than it was. I cannot help thinking that "the little Lord Jesus no crying he makes" is a pretty lie and a far cry, so to speak,from Mary's experience of her first child. We don't talk much about Mary's exhaustion, Joseph's anxiety, and Jesus' diapers.

    So if he came to save the world I cannot imagine this not involving changing the world, which evokes the world's fierce resistance. Stephen's martyrdom fits in with the challenge brought by this particular birth--and Holy Innocents is coming quickly too.

    Thanks for this post. You have been putting up lots of lovely art, Mimi, and I've been enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, you would? I'm not sure I understand. Stephen didn't mince words, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, yes, we tend to prettify the story way too much. As I was setting up this post, I thought of the Holy Innocents coming up day after tomorrow.

    You do lovely art, too, Paul, better than mine, IMO. The challenge is find something that I like that is not under copyright. Web Gallery of Art is good, along with Wiki, The Metropolitan Museum, and Christus Rex.

    The National Gallery in London wants to be paid for reproductions of their collection. Did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was our discussion style homily (daily mass it the small chapel accomodates that) today.

    How we are compelled through time to make an idyllic nativity scene with the "little lady dressed in blue" looking all beatific and perky. (my contribution!) While I have not had a child myself, knowing many women who have, not too many are so glowy the day after.

    And forget the lovely wood and straw... it was a stinky manger, cave with animals.

    Anyway beyond that we have the incarnation and then we are confronted with Stephen. Then (forgive my ignorance of your liturgical calendar...)at least in the RC church we go from Stephen to Thomas a Becket to Holy Innocents. It is quite a week, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just seems like he is so holier than thou -- calling people names - I guess I wonder if there is not a better way. I just have doubts around those see themselves called to martyrdom ---

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann, sometimes they had no choice about martyrdom. It was your faith or your life.

    I tend to shy away from name-calling, but Jesus did it. I try to put myself in the position of the very early Christians, and I wonder if I would have stood up for the faith in the face of death threats. I hope so. I guess I read the passage differently than you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably more to do with my life and people I meet than Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no doubt that he was zealous, more zealous than I'll ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doggone it, Mimi, every time I think Of St Stephen I think of Good King Wenceslas and when I think of that song, I think of a version I have. Sort takes the edge off the day.

    Good King Wenceslas looked out
    On his feets uneven.
    As the sno(o) lay all about
    Sno(o)? What sno(o) with you?

    I have no clue where I learned that which is probably good since it can't be referenced for more or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Piskie, I was going to mention the hymn about the good king, but, in the end, I forgot. Here is the first verse:

    Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen,
    When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even.
    Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel,
    When a poor man came in sight, gathering winter fuel.


    Ho ho ho. You were close. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never seen that painting! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, I have been to Florence several times, but I have never heard of the Museo Horne. I'm glad you liked the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.