Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In Remembrance - Mohandas Gandhi


Thanks to Paul for the reminder that today is the 60th anniversary of the assassination of Gandhi. As I said in the comments at Byzigenous Buddhapalian, "Paul, thanks for this. And Gandhi's only weapons were truth, love, and a determination to remain non-violent. And he won, thus demonstrating the power of powerlessness."

I offer a few choice words of wisdom from the great leader:

Be the change that you want to see in the world.

Ah, that we could take this one to heart and live it.

A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.

Whoa! I pray that the actions of our leaders do not reflect what "resides in the hearts and in the soul" of the people of my country, but I fear that they may - more than I realize.

What is true of the individual will be to-morrow true of the whole nation if individuals will but refuse to lose heart and hope.

Therein lies my hope, that enough of us persist in the push for justice, mercy, and humility and that, in so doing, we do not "lose heart and hope".

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Timely words for many of us in opposition to the leadership today in the good old U. S. of A. - that we do not "lose heart and hope".

Please do click the link to read Paul's post.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding some more choice comments by the Great Soul. I think we all need to pay close attention to him; he has so much to teach us that is pointedly relevant in our own day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mimi. And Paul too.

    Mimi, I don't think our leaders reflect us. I really don't. I do think that our system needs some adjusting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ, I fear they reflect more of us than I want to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Paul's post earlier. Gandhi is a real hero of mine and reminder, along with MLK and of course Jesus, that peace is the only way.

    Thank you Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read a book of excerpts from him! I didn't know i was reading it on the anniversary of his martyrdom. As usual, you and Paul enlighten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, OK, Lindy read the book but she told me some of what was in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed! Thank God for the likes of Gandhi and MLK.

    Rowan, you are a lucky dog to have a guardian who reads to you. That's part of the reason why you are so smart. The other part is that you are an outstanding dog in every way. Diana, stretched out on her L.L. Bean bed, says, "Hi".

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.