Sunday, January 20, 2008

Obama Sermon In Atlanta

Excerpt from Barack Obama's sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, the church where Martin Luther King, Jr. ministered:

Unity is the great need of the hour – the great need of this hour. Not because it sounds pleasant or because it makes us feel good, but because it’s the only way we can overcome the essential deficit that exists in this country.

I’m not talking about a budget deficit. I’m not talking about a trade deficit. I’m not talking about a deficit of good ideas or new plans.

I’m talking about a moral deficit. I’m talking about an empathy deficit. I’m taking about an inability to recognize ourselves in one another; to understand that we are our brother’s keeper; we are our sister’s keeper; that, in the words of Dr. King, we are all tied together in a single garment of destiny.
....

For most of this country’s history, we in the African American community have been at the receiving end of man’s inhumanity to man. And all of us understand intimately the insidious role that race still sometimes plays – on the job, in the schools, in our health care system and in our criminal justice system.

And yet, if we are honest with ourselves, we must admit that none of our hands are entirely clean. If we’re honest with ourselves, we’ll acknowledge that our own community has not always been true to King’s vision of a beloved community.

We have scorned our gay brothers and sisters instead of embracing them. The scourge of anti-Semitism has, at times, revealed itself in our community. For too long, some of us have seen immigrants as competitors for jobs instead of companions in the fight for opportunity.
....

Brothers and sisters, we cannot walk alone.

In the struggle for peace and justice, we cannot walk alone.

In the struggle for opportunity and equality, we cannot walk alone

In the struggle to heal this nation and repair this world, we cannot walk alone.

So I ask you to walk with me, and march with me, and join your voice with mine, and together we will sing the song that tears down the walls that divide us, and lift up an America that is truly indivisible, with liberty, and justice, for all. May God bless the memory of the great pastor of this church, and may God bless the United States of America.


Whomever you're rooting for as the candidate for president, can we agree that this is a damned good speech?

From Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish, where you can read the whole sermon.

Thanks to IT in the comments at Of Course, I Could Be Wrong for calling the sermon to my attention.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this -- great sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, I'll have a look at the whole thing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it is, and thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fine speech. We need more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over at OCICBW, klady was saying that she is leery of fine speeches---and I get that. But this one strikes me as different in a substantive way.

    He is explicit about the fact that change will require sacrifice. I can't remember the last time I heard a major politician say that.

    I want honesty from my President---something that has been absolutely lacking in the current Administration. I want someone in that office who has the courage to say "You simply cannot have it all at no cost."

    Everyone knows this deep down---but we are so used to hearing politicians tell us that we can have it all, simply by tweaking this policy or that tax, that I think we've half come to believe it. It's time someone had the courage to burst that bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine speech, BUT...

    I truly cannot stand electioneering from the pulpit. I can't stand it from the left and I can't stand it from the right. Sermons from lay speakers, yes, and I have been present when politicos have done so. Campaigning, no. Having been on both sides of this particular fence, I have to say that the left is much more comfortable with having politicians running for office providing "sermons" than the right. Both Obmama and Hillary get a "pass" on such events. I don't get it.

    This is not to say our beliefs should not govern our politics, because I believe that they should. But if I want to hear political speeches, I will go to where they are being presented. I go to church to engage in a life-changing encounter with our creator and to be united with others around a common table. I do not go to be affirmed in my politics and/or to be a cheerleader for, or hater of, a given politician.

    Can you tell this gets my knickers in a knot? Sorry!

    Love ya, Grandmére.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is explicit about the fact that change will require sacrifice.

    Doxy, I liked that dose of reality, too. Here we are mired in an horrific, illegal war with no one asked to sacrifice except the troops and their families. That is wrong.

    KJ, there's a long history of politicians from both parties making speeches to religious groups, however, I wouldn't like it from the pulpit in my church.

    And, yes, I can tell your knickers are in a twist, love.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.