Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Geaux, Tigers!


(The photo, from a December board meeting, shows teacher, Peter Pfister, who organized the trip, along with three students who also spoke before the board — Lincoln Spear, Orion Pearce, and Kelsey Barnes.)

My friends, I'm going to ask you to take a little trip down memory lane with me. Back in December I posted on an article by Allison Hantschel aka Athenae at First Draft, in the Chicago Southtown Star about a group of high school students from Rockland, Maine, who wanted to go, as a group, to help with the recovery in New Orleans. The group sought permission from the local school board. During the discussion about the trip by the Rockford school board, one member objected, saying that it would be like sending the students into a "war zone" Allison's article is no longer available at the SouthTown Star, but I believe that the motion was tabled for future consideration.

Today, in the comments to that December post, I received this:

Tigers has left a new comment on your post ""New Orleans A 'War Zone'?"":

Hi! I am actually with the group, Tiger Outreach, in Rockland ME, that is planning to go to New Orleans. I belive that you would be happy to know that, although 2 members still voted against our trip, we still gained school board approval! We are now only concerned about getting the funding, but we are very optimistic that our goal will be reached. I would like to thank you for writing about this and giving us your support!!!
P.S.-Send donations to
Rockland District High School-Tiger Outreach c/o Jo Talbot
400 Broadway St.
Rockland, Maine
04841
(not to be tacky


Posted by Tigers to Wounded Bird at February 20, 2008 2:01 PM


Not tacky at all, Tigers. Thanks for letting me know. Here's the story from the Bar Harbor Times.

Anyone of a mind to pony up a little cash, you have the address.

UPDATE: I was remiss in not thanking you, Tigers, and Peter Pfister, your teacher, who organized the plan for the trip. I am a native of New Orleans, and I was devastated by the destruction of my home town. I am immensely grateful to all of you for wanting to help New Orleans and its people toward recovery. There's much still left to do.

5 comments:

  1. Tigers, my check goes out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, guys! Know that what you're doing--the fact that you even have a desire to come down and help--means so much to us New Orleanians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffery, thanks for dropping in with an encouraging word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all:
    The Tigers came and went, but the trip to New Orleans lower 9th made a real impression, we hope to make more trips, funds permitting. We worked about 1000 hours but I think we came back with as much as we did for others. We met Angela Hill, Leah Chase of Dooky Chase, two amazing women, heard John McCain speak and met him, were thanked by complete strangers, and met some amazing people. Thank you for our experience NOLA!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.